Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Two For Tuesday: Chicago (High School Days)

Today’s walk through the music of my high school years should have been about the Jackson 5, but I see I’ve already done them. So instead, I’m going to profile the band that came in sixth.

If you’ve hung around here long enough, you know Chicago was my favorite band when I was in high school, and that Terry Kath, the band’s guitarist, was my “guitar hero,” as it were. I’ve talked about them a number of times, including here, here, and here, and I’ve included their music in a number of other posts. I’ll try not to choose songs that I’ve already done, although that might not be easy…

Chicago had 9 songs in the Top Ten during the early Seventies, but none of them reached #1. The last two of those songs were from their 1974 album Chicago VII, which might have been my favorite, mostly because they had gotten back to their more jazz roots. The first of them was “I’ve Been Searching So Long,” which entered the Top Ten in May and spent three weeks there, peaking at #9.

The second was “Call On Me,” the first song for the band written by trumpet player Lee Loughnane. It entered the Top Ten in July and spent four weeks there, peaking at #6.

Chicago went on to greater success in the late Seventies, including their first #1 hit with “If You Leave Me Now,” which also earned the band its first two Grammys (Best Arrangement, Instrumental and Vocal and Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group, or Chorus) in 1977. Terry Kath accidentally shot and killed himself in January 1978, bassist and lead vocalist Peter Cetera left in 1985, and drummer Danny Seraphine left (officially, he was fired) in 1990.

Chicago, your Two for Tuesday, August 8, 2017.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment