Saturday, July 1, 2017

You May “Ooooh” and “Aaaah” As Appropriate #socs

We begin our fourth year of daily blogging (you may “ooooh” and “aaaah” as appropriate) with a Stream of Consciousness prompt by Dan, who is filling in for Linda, who is no doubt enjoying Canada Day (as are most of you who live in Canada, and I hope you have a good holiday). Dan’s prompt, for whatever reason, are the words “ooooh” and “aaaah,” the words uttered by the thousands of people enjoying or hoping to enjoy fireworks sometime this weekend.

Remember the old Peanuts cartoons, where Lucy would say, “I’ll hold the ball, Charlie Brown, and you kick it”? Charlie, after receiving the solemn promises from Ms. Van Pelt, would get a running start at the football, only to have her jerk it away at the last minute, sending him flying into the air to fall to earth with a loud “thud.” While in midair, Charlie would yell “AUGH!” I always thought that was a strange thing to yell, then I figured out that was Charles M. Schulz’s way of having Charlie yell “AAAAAAAAAAAH!” I still thought it was strange, but at least I understood it. I always thought Schulz was a bit odd himself. I saw a special on him once, and he sounded like Mister Rogers minus any expression. No kidding.

I always wanted to see Charlie Brown kick Lucy’s head off when she jerked the ball away. Can you imagine Lucy’s head flying through the air, shouting “AUGH!”

I’ve been trying to find short clips of Joe E. Ross, who played Gunther Toody on Car 54, Where Are You?, saying “ooh! ooh!” as his character did, or Rick Moranis doing his impression of Merv Griffin on SCTV, which had him saying “ooooooh” when he was excited, or Yosemite Sam growling “OOOOOOOOOOH!” in exasperation when dealing with Bugs Bunny, and naturally I get sidetracked and forget what I was there to look for. Such is life. I did, however, find this McDonald’s commercial from 1982, featuring Frank Nelson, the “Yeeeees?” guy, who squeals “ooooooh!” several times in the commercial.


socsbadgecropped

Stream of Consciousness Saturday is sponsored each week by Linda Hill and this station. Now this word from Girves Brown Derby Restaurants.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment