Sunday, July 2, 2017

The Independence Day Holiday Weekend Week That Was

Here’s Sophia Loren for Mr. Coffee’s Filter Fresh water system. It cleans the water your family drinks.

Ya’ll have heard the story about my meeting Sophia Loren in an elevator, so I won’t bore you with it again.

The Week That Was

It was a week of milestones for me and the blog. On Thursday, the blog reached 1800 posts, and yesterday was the third anniversary of me doing this every day. We’ll have another milestone on Tuesday, so stay tuned. Here’s the summary.

I featured college fight songs on Monday’s Music Moves Me, including one for Loyola University, my alma mater, which I didn’t realize even had a fight song. As far as I know, they don’t have a marching band, either, at least they didn’t when I was there, but things have changed a lot since then, including all kinds of new buildings they want me to help pay for. I know I didn’t put every school’s fight song out there; there are lots of collections of them on YouTube, some separated by conference, even.

Jim Croce, who I had profiled previously, was the featured act on Tuesday, as were his two #1 songs during the period.

This week’s one-liner came to us courtesy of Josh Fruhlinger, who runs the blog The Comics Curmudgeon. It came from one of his pithy comments about a Dick Tracy cartoon.

The challenge was to compose a post in exactly 15 lines, which I take to meet 15 sentences. That was the 1800th post on the blog, so I wrote about that. Thanks to everyone who sent along their congratulations. It helps me keep this going.

I featured ten songs that I thought of as I was reading your suggestions for songs with destinations in the title. Kip remarked that I could do this every Friday through the end of the year, and I just might. I still have to put together the playlist of all your suggestions; I might get that done this week.

socsbadgecropped

Dan had the honor of choosing the prompt, and it was “ooooh” and “aaaah,” words that will be uttered plenty in the United States (July 4) and Canada (July 1) this weekend. I wrote about the old Peanuts cartoon, which most of us Baby Boomers grew up reading, as well as characters who were famous for exclaiming “ooooh!” (Gunther Toody, Rick Moranis doing Merv Griffin, Yosemite Sam, and Frank Nelson, better known for his “Yeeeeees?”).

Probably nothing too out of the ordinary, but there will likely be a special post on Tuesday.

And that’s it for this edition of The Week That Was. Have a good holiday weekend, and I’ll see you around!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment