Sunday, July 30, 2017

The Back-To-School Week That Was

This edition of The Week That Was is brought to you by Staples. Yeah, we got that.

I couldn’t find any older “back to school” commercials.

The kids in Cobb County, Georgia start the 2017-18 school year tomorrow. Seems unfair to me; we always started the Wednesday after Labor Day. Even if you take into consideration that they get out for summer vacation, they still get a month less than we did. I know up north they still start after Labor Day, so why they do it this way here is beyond me.

The Week That Was

I apologize that I’m falling behind with comments. If I owe you a comment, I’ll get to you, promise. Here’s the summary from last week.

Freebie week this week, so I gave you the Top Ten from the WLS Silver Dollar Survey for July 24, 55 years ago. Hey, I didn’t pick them, I was only six and was into Allan Sherman at the time. But I would have liked some of these, especially “Speedy Gonzalez.”

Started a new feature this past Monday, Sandi’s Manic Monday, where she chooses a song from the past and we write a post based on the song title. This week’s choice was Paul Revere & The Raiders’ “Kicks,” and after a discussion of the minor pentatonic scale around which the opening riff is built, I talked about breakfast cereals. Looking forward to what Sandi comes up with this week.

2fortuesdaybadge

Rather than featuring a single artist this past week, I chose two songs that were #1 hits for their artists that were also the artists’ only songs to reach the Top Ten during the 1970-1974 time period, in this case “Show and Tell” by Al Wilson and “Ride Captain Ride” by Blues Image.

I usually try to make the one-liner humorous, but this week I saw a sweet image quote on Facebook and chose to use that instead. I think people liked the commercial for Kellogg’s Sugar Frosted Flakes better.

This week’s prompt was to write about eight things I miss about summer as a kid, always one of those things I enjoy writing about. Uncle Jack wants to know when I plan on putting all these reminiscences in a book. I’ve actually started to think about that, as in gathering ideas together and starting an outline. I figure the hard part is over, since I have a lot of the stuff written down. Now I just need to merge the stories from here with my outline, add a little continuity and all the things I couldn’t say on my blog, add in a few extras…. hmmmm….

Also, Thursday was the 431st anniversary of Sir Walter Raleigh introducing tobacco to England (he was such a stupid get). In honor of the occasion, I played Bob Newhart’s hilarious sketch about the day.

Continuing on my theme from Tuesday, I shared ten more songs that were the artist’s only song to reach the Top Ten in the early Seventies and went to #1. Several people told me that they were sick of “Brandy,” because it was played so much. Reminded me of this story about the song “I’m Looking Over A Four-Leaf Clover”…

[I]n 1948, Al “Jazzbo” Collins, a popular Salt Lake City disk jockey, is credited with popularizing Art Mooney’s version of the song after he pulled a stunt playing the song over and over for hours on end. Some sources state 3 1/2 hours, other say it was 24 hours. For 120 minutes Mooney played on while phone calls poured in from pleased listeners who added insult to Collin’s injury by praising him “for playing something good for a change.”

socsbadgecropped

Linda’s prompt was “limb,” and after discussing limbo the dance and Limbo the post-death destination, I let everyone know about my second round of lymphatic drainage and my upcoming oral surgery, i.e. having a tooth pulled and having an implant installed. I got the drugs for the latter yesterday, and while there was a time the prospect of taking Tylenol 3 might have appealed to me, now it just tells me it’s going to hurt like a you-know-what. Maybe I’d better get a few blog posts in the queue for when that happens.

Tomorrow’s M4 theme is “songs that start with the first letter of my name.” It’s already written assuming they meant the first initial of my first name, and if that’s not what they meant, well, tough bananas. I’m at the point with Two for Tuesday where I’ll be writing about the top five artists for the 1970-1974 timeframe, and will start with #5 this week. Friday will bring another ten “One-Hit #1’s,” and of course there will be a one-liner Wednesday and a couple of posts based on prompts by Mama Kat and Linda. Maybe I’ll also get my questionnaire written…

And that’s it for this edition of The Week That Was. See you in the funny papers!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment