Saturday, July 29, 2017

Let’s Limbo! #socs

Remember Chubby Checker’s “Limbo Rock”? It was a hit for him in 1962, reaching #2, kept out of the top spot by The Tornadoes’ “Telstar.”

You probably know that the limbo is a dance where you have to get under a bar that starts at about waist height and goes, well, as low as you do. No, I couldn’t do it.

In the old Catholic Church, there were four places you could go after you died: Heaven, Hell, Purgatory (kind of a temporary Hell if you weren’t good enough to go to Heaven but not bad enough to go to Hell), and Limbo, where unbaptized people, primarily babies, went. The Second Vatican Council did away with Limbo, and George Carlin wondered aloud if God then promoted everyone to Heaven or just cut them loose and forgot about them.

Well, it was a valid point… Anyway, speaking of limbs…

As you might know, I’ve dealt with lymphedema (swelling caused by lymphatic fluid collecting in my legs, primarily my right leg) since having my stroke in 2007. I was treated for it last year and given compression devices that strapped around my legs and I wore during the day. Unfortunately, they weren’t measured correctly and the lymphedema came roaring back, so I went back to physical therapy this year and they’ve managed to get my leg back to an acceptable size. I hope to go to get measured Monday for a new appliance that looks like it’ll be easier for Mary and me to put on and will do a better job of compressing my leg than the old ones did. The old ones, incidentally, won’t go to waste: I can wear both of them on my left leg, and together they’re long enough to fit). It means I’m just about to be discharged from the physical therapy, giving me a week or so before my next medical adventure, getting a tooth pulled and having an implant installed.

Gee, in the old days I just needed a doctor and a dentist. Now I need a staff.


socsbadgecropped

Stream of Consciousness Saturday is brought to you each week by Linda Hill and this station. Now a word from our sponsors.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment