Thursday, June 15, 2017

Writer’s Workshop: It’s Fixed!

I scrambled for the thesaurus this week when I was asked to come up with a post centered around “treat,” because it has so many disparate meanings. One synonym for “treat” is “take care of,” and that gave me an idea for what to write about, because I took care of something this past week.

You’ve probably learned by now that our Internet service has been flaky for a little over a year. Everything would be fine, then it’d stop working, despite all the lights on the modem burning bright and steady. Within five minutes, the modem would reset and try to re-establish contact with the Internet. Sometimes it would come right back up, other times I’d have to unplug it and start it again.

Before I called Comcast, I bought another gateway and installed it, replacing one that I had bought less than six months earlier, thinking that maybe the modem was defective. The new one worked well for a couple of days, then started acting up again.

I called Comcast and asked them to send someone out to check everything. The Level 1 representative seemed to be more interested in getting me to upgrade my service (adding TV and phone, which we had gotten rid of the year before), but he managed to get it working and I just wanted to get rid of the guy.

Things were fine when the weather got cooler, and I figured they had fixed the problem. All was well until the first day the temperature rose above 80 (sometime in early April), then the problems returned. It would cool down and everything would be fine, then heat up and we’d have trouble. Finally Mary had enough and told me to call them, that it wasn’t going to fix itself.

This time, I spoke to Level 2 Support, who didn’t try to sell me anything and who scheduled a technician to come to the house. The technician did some measurements and said he could see we were losing power somewhere between the street and the house. He found that the splitter that was sending a signal to three different cable hookups had gone bad, so he took it out and ran all new cable from the street to the house. Problem resolved.

It’s a treat having consistent Internet service again…




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment