Friday, June 2, 2017

The Friday Five: Five Random Songs From Summer 1979 in the UK

You’re probably wondering, “John, why did you choose 1979, and what do you mean, five random songs?” First, why 1979: I spent that summer working third shift. It was basically go to work, come home, go to bed, wake up, go to work, etc. I almost never had Saturdays off. In fact, there were some weeks I didn’t have Sunday off, either. As such, I didn’t listen to the radio all that much.

Now, the random thing: I found a list of the Top 40 Songs from that summer here, and was about to list the top five songs from that summer. Then I stopped myself, and said, “nah, I always do that. Let’s do something different.” So, using the random number generator at Random.org, I generated five positions and chose the song I found there.

The Stranglers, “Duchess” (#37) The Stranglers are a British punk band that started as The Guildford Stranglers in 1974. “Duchess” reached #14 in the UK and #27 in Ireland.

Gibson Brothers, “Ooh What A Life” (#16) The Gibson Brothers are a France-based group that had its biggest success during the late-Seventies disco boom. This song reached #10 on the British Singles chart.

Randy VanWarmer, “Just When I Needed You Most” (#21) Randy was an American artist who had this one single. It reached #4 on the Hot 100 and #1 on the Billboard Hot Adult Tracks survey, and reached #8 in the UK.

Boomtown Rats, “I Don’t Like Mondays” (#1) The #1 single that summer was by the Bob Geldof-led Boomtown Rats. It was a Top Ten single in most of Europe, but only reached #73 in the US.

Roxy Music, “Angel Eyes” (#9) This song reached #4 in the UK, but didn’t chart in the US.

Hmm… wonder if I can find a chart for the US for Summer 1979? If so, we’ll do that next week. That’s The Friday Five for June 2, 2017.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment