When we did destinations last week, Biker Chick suggested the song “On Wisconsin,” which is both a destination and a university. That made me think that a good theme for today would be college fight songs. Here are ten that I chose because I knew people that went to school there or were in places that I liked.
- On Wisconsin! This was the song that started this list. Thanks, Biker Chick!
- Notre Dame Fight Song I think every Irish Catholic in the country considers Notre Dame an alma mater of sorts. I had an uncle that went there.
- Fighting Illini Fight Song A few of my cousins, my friend Mark, and half my senior class went to Illinois, so I had to include this.
- “Glory” (UGA Fight Song) Half my friends from my twenty-year job went here.
- Ramblin’ Wreck From Georgia Tech The other half of my friends from that job went here. Plus, a lot of our friends from church have sons and daughters (mostly daughters; who says girls are no good at STEM?) who go here.
- Tennessee Fight Song Our co-host Cathy lives nearby, plus I have a cousin who taught there. I’ve been to Knoxville many times and think it’s a great place. Never saw the campus, though.
- Auburn Fight Song I used to visit a client in Alexander City, Alabama, and if you got off I-85 and turned the other way you’d find yourself in Auburn. I knew someone who was in their School of Veterinary Medicine. Also Tim Hudson, who played for the Braves, and Frank Thomas, who played for the White Sox, attended here.
- Seton Hall Fight Song I have a cousin who lives in New Jersey, and he and his son were Big East basketball fans. I’ve been to a couple of games, one with the cousin and one with his son (who’s also a cousin, I just realized), and had a good time, so I included the Pirates’ fight song here.
- Northwestern Fight Song By now you know I spent a couple of undistinguished years as a Wildcat. I was going to say they never won a football game when I was there, but I believe they beat the Oregon Ducks at the end of the 1974 season. Never won another game while I was there, and temporarily held the record for losses in a row. They went to the Rose Bowl a couple of years back, and I had to watch because I just coulodn’t believe they were in it. True to form, they lost.
- Hail Loyola! I didn’t realize that my alma mater (BBA January ’78) had a fight song. Shows what I know.
And that’s Monday’s Music Moves Me for June 26, 2017.
from The Sound of One Hand Typing