Sunday, June 11, 2017

Holy Summary, Batman! It’s The Week That Was!

This edition of The Week That Was is sponsored by Batman, coming soon to a theater near you!

By now, you’ve heard that Adam West, TV’s “Batman,” died yesterday after a brief bout with leukemia. The only remaining “supervillain” from the show, Julie Newmar (who played Catwoman, although sadly not in the movie), paid him a wonderful tribute, saying he was “the best Batman ever.” Rest in peace, Adam West.

The Week That Was

Since yesterday, when I talked about how my Internet service was in and out whenever it was warm, I installed a new gateway (actually took out the one I had in there and swapped it for the one that was there before I changed it), and I’ve only had one brief outage. Could the gateway have been the issue? No way of knowing. Anyway, here’s the week in review.

I shared the #1 songs from the US and the UK on each of my brothers’ birthays, as well as my own. We were born on days with great music, is all I have to say.

2fortuesdaybadge

Aretha Franklin was Tuesday’s act from my high school days. She’s had a long and successful career, and seems to be a favorite of all of you.

Wednesday’s One-Liner was from the movie The Blues Brothers, which has more than its share of great one-liners. And Aretha Franklin was in both movies, the original and Blues Brothers 2000.

The prompt was “late,” so I wrote about a couple of times when I was not just late, but spectacularly so. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it and remembering the times. And yes, there are plenty more stories like those.

BATTLE OF THE BANDS! (BOTB Top Photo)

My most recent Battle was won by Miss Sassy herself, Sarah Vaughan. Any time I feature a battle with Sarah Vaughan, she wins. I’m thinking of retiring her from future battles; she’s just too good.

After the previous week, where I chose five songs at random from a list of the top 40 songs in the UK during the summer of 1979, I had intended on doing the same thing. Seeing as I couldn’t find such a list, I took a WLS survey from the middle of that summer and chose five songs more or less at random, being careful not to select any disco tunes. I think I might have gotten the only five non-disco tunes on the survey…

socsbadgecropped

The word was “admit,” and the topic was my latest battle with my Internet service, where they finally admitted maybe they were the ones that had an issue. They’re coming out on Tuesday. Stay tuned for further updates.

Nothing special planned, though my friend over at Mostly Cajun has me thinking about this whole blogging thing. I wonder sometimes if I’m doing too much on autopilot. On the other hand, like him I’d rather talk here than on Facebook, and I’m still enjoying this tremendously. And I think I’d miss this too much. Okay, I’d miss you too much.

That’s it for this edition of The Week That Was. See you later!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

2 comments: