Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Two for Tuesday EXTRA: The Allman Brothers Band (RIP Gregg Allman)

I was never much of an Allman Brothers fan. Duane Allman was a guitar hero of mine, and like another guitar hero, Chicago’s Terry Kath, he was the heart and soul of his band, and when he was gone, it was as though the air was let out of them. Gregg Allman, Duane’s kid brother, passed away last Saturday, and the tributes to him are pouring in. And since The Allman Brothers Band was popular when I was in high school, and since I’m looking at music from that period, I felt to add a word or two.

Gregg was a great singer, musician, and songwriter. He was also a person who struggled with addiction to alcohol and drugs throughout most of his career. He seemed to have put all that behind him a few years ago, and was clean and sober at the time of his death. My condolences to his children and all who knew and loved him.

I’ve chosen a couple of songs that are favorites of mine. The first song is “One Way Out.”

The second song is “Whipping Post,” which was written by Gregg.

Rest in Peace, Gregg Allman.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment