Tuesday, May 9, 2017

A to Z ’17: Reflections

I WON! YAY ME!

17474d3a52fd7efdada7b5896b5c5906

How did the A to Z Challenge go for me? Very smoothly. It should by now: this was my fifth year doing it, and I’ve learned from my mistakes in previous years.

  • I got everything written and scheduled before April 1.
  • I responded to most of my comments, at least giving the comments a “like.”
  • I tried to visit everyone that visited me, and the people who had visited them.
  • I found a lot of blogs by going through the list from the Theme Reveal. I’d visit a blog and its visitors, and added all that were participating in the challenge to a Feedly list so I’d remember where I’d found them. I think I added about a hundred blogs to that list.
  • You’ll find a list of my entries for the Challenge here. It’s the first entry in the list under “Special Pages” in the sidebar.

Now, hate me all you want: I suggested going without a list this year. We’ll talk about the reasons why we chose to go that way at a later date, probably on the Challenge blog. We’re all busy reading your reflection posts and tallying the results of the survey (which is here; you have until the 20th, a week from Saturday). From my perspective, I’ve always found that visiting my visitors and their visitors works much better than picking them at random off a list. Last year, by the way, Jacob had a project whre he went looking for new blogs to read, and documented the whole process. It’s a good read.

Great job, everyone! I’ll try to get to as many of you as I can over the next few months.

One other thing: Some WordPress users are having trouble leaving commnents on Blogger blogs. It was the reason I set up the simulcast blog for the main Challenge blog. If you’re in that position, here is a suggestion:

  • If you have a Google account, use it to comment on Blogger.
  • If you don’t have a Google account, open one, then use it to comment on Blogger.

Google hasn’t changed Blogger much since they got it, apart from finding new ways to force ads onto people’s pages and making it almost impossible to comment with anything other than a Google account. It’s a pain in the backside, just like almost everything else Google touches, but it’s best to play along.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment