Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Two For Tuesday: Marvin Gaye

Marvin Gaye had five hits in the Top Ten of the Hot 100 in the early Seventies, spending a total of thirty weeks there. Thirteen of those thirty weeks were for his mega-hit “Let’s Get It On,” a #1 for him in 1973. As a bonus, this video includes the B side, “Heaven Must Have Sent You.”

His second-biggest hit on the Hot 100 was 1971’s “What’s Goin’ On,” which reached #2 and spent eight weeks in the Top Ten.

Marvin was shot to death by his father, Marvin Gay Sr., on April 1, 1984, after Marvin intervened in an argument between his parents. The elder Gay agreed to a plea bargain, pleading guilty to a charge of voluntary manslaughter and receiving a suspended sentence and probation. At his sentencing hearing, his father said, “If I could bring him back, I would. I was afraid of him. I thought I was going to get hurt. I didn’t know what was going to happen. I’m really sorry for everything that happened. I loved him. I wish he could step through this door right now. I’m paying the price now.” The whole story is on Wikipedia.

Marvin Gaye, your Two for Tuesday, April 25, 2017.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment