Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Two for Tuesday: Bread

After I got my stereo in the summer of 1970, I got a bunch of albums from a friend of Mom’s whose mother worked at WCFL. One of them was Bread’s On The Waters, which had been released earlier that year.

The hit single, “Make It With You,” was on that album; it reached #1 in August of that year. It was to be their only #1 on the Hot 100. I never understood why it was the only single from that album; I thought it was the weakest song. (I especially liked “Blue Satin Pillow,” the next song on the album.) I guess I shouldn’t argue with success.

It was right around then that I started becoming obsessed with liner notes, and would read them to the point where they were stuck permanently in my memory, whether I wanted them to be or not. I learned that Bread was guitarist and lead singer David Gates (who also wrote the lion’s share of the band’s songs), Jimmy Griffin on guitar and keyboards, Robb Royer on bass, and Mike Botts on drums. Larry Knechtel replaced Royer on bass in 1971. They all played multiple instruments, but that was the general lineup.

Bread released fifteen singles and six studio albums, but had the most chart success in the period from 1970-1972. Their second-biggest selling single was “Baby I’m-A Want You,” the title track from the first of their two 1972 albums (the other being Guitar Man). It rose to #3 on the Hot 100 and #1 on the Easy Listening chart in early 1972.

The only two members of the band that are still living are Gates and Royer, both of whom tour occasionally. The band’s website has been archived, but you can still see it on the Internet Archive.

Bread, your Two for Tuesday, April 4, 2017.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment