Friday, March 31, 2017

The Friday Five: More “Man” Songs

I have a slight backlog on my Friday Fives. I have two weeks’ worth of your song suggestions to do, one for days of the week from last Friday and one from the Stream of Consciousness Saturday from the week before, songs with “man” in the title. So, I’ll do the “man” songs today and days of the week songs next Friday. Sound like a plan?

Rush, “Working Man” My brother Pat was kind of stumped by this one, he told me, but he came up with this gem from Rush’s 1974 eponymous debut album. Wikipedia tells us this was the song that landed them their record contract.

Johnny Rivers, “Secret Agent Man” Jeanne was a superstar this week, coming up with three contributions to the list. I can’t believe I didn’t come up with this the first time through — this is a favorite of mine and I could even play it back in my guitar-playing days. Obviously, this was done live at The Hollywood Bowl for the program of the same name, and yes, that was Judy Garland doing the introduction. It rose to #3 on the Hot 100 in 1966.

Gene Pitney, “(The Man Who Shot) Liberty Valance” From the 1962 movie of the same name, this went to #4 for Gene on the Hot 100 that year. Jeanne also suggested this one.

Iron Maiden, “Man On The Edge” Jeanne’s third recommendation comes to us from the world of heavy metal (assuming this was the song she was talking about). This is from 1995, from their X Factor album, and the blogger’s best friend tells us it was inspired by the movie Falling Down, which might be my favorite Michael Douglas movie. Evidently, the song reached #1 in Finland.

Muddy Waters, “I’m A Man (Mannish Boy)” This was on the original list, but I thought having two songs named “I’m A Man” was a little much. You might remember that, due to technical difficulties, an early version of the song list got out, and this was on it. Lauralynn commented and said, “hey, where’s ‘I’m A Man (Mannish Boy)’?” Here’s a live version, from what I estimate was the late Sixties, based on who’s playing with him.

And while I’m on the subject, “Mannish Boy” was a followup to Muddy’s earlier hit, Willie Dixon’s “Hoochie Coochie Man.”

As always, thanks to all the contributors. Next week, more day of the week songs. That’s The Friday Five for March 31, 2017.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment