Friday, March 3, 2017

The Friday Five: “Jump” Songs

My brother Patrick, who had a hard time finding “pain” songs (i.e. songs with “pain” in the title) said “I AM quite familiar with the group House of Pain and their ever popular hit Jump Around (circa 1992.) To that end, I think that a Friday Five with “jump” in the title will yield good results.” And before I knew it, I had five songs and others were calling out to me. So, here are five songs with “jump” in the title.

House of Pain, “Jump Around” I’ll be honest, until I heard this one, I had no idea what song Pat was talking about, but as it happens this is one I’m familiar with, and it is indeed from 1992. It reached #3 on the Hot 100, #14 on the R&B chart, and #5 on the Rap chart that year.

Van Halen, “Jump” From the album 1984, Van Halen’s only #1 song, it’s been ranked at #15 on VH1’s “100 Greatest Songs of the 1980’s.”

Count Basie, “One O’Clock Jump” The Count makes two appearances this week. This is from the 1943 movie Reveille With Beverly which starred Ann Miller, William Wright, and Dick Purcell.

Duke Ellington, “Jump For Joy” I remembered this one because Chicago did this on a TV tribute to The Duke.

Oscar Peterson and Count Basie, “Jumpin’ At The Woodside” The Count jams with Oscar Peterson here. You’ll recognize the song as the one for Gene Gene, The Dancing Machine.

So those are my five. What are some of yours?

That’s The Friday Five for March 3, 2017.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment