Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Two For Tuesday: The Jackson Five

You might remember last Monday, when I was comparing acts that had the most weeks in the top ten when I was in high school, I said The Jackson Five came in fourth, with 34 total weeks across their six hits. If you were to add in the hit singles done by Michael (three, for 24 weeks) and Jermaine (one for two weeks), they would have the same number of hit records (10) and only one week less (70) than the champions of the period, Karen and Richard Carpenter.

In addition to two #1 songs (“The Love You Save” and “I’ll Be There”) during the period, they had three songs that reached #2. Since this is Two for Tuesday, I intended to choose two of them, then I figured “why not do all three?” And that’s what I’ve done here.

“Never Can Say Goodbye” hit the WLS Top Ten the week of April 19, 1971 and peaked at #2 the week of May 10, kept from the top spot by Three Dog Night’s “Joy To The World.”

I had a hard time remembering “Mama’s Pearl,” which entered the Top 10 on WLS February 1, 1971 and hit #1 two weeks later, unseating The Osmond Brothers’ “One Bad Apple.” When I heard it again, it all came back to me.

It was three years before the group had another Top Ten single, 1974’s “Dancing Machine.” It entered the Billboard Top Ten on April 27, but didn’t hit WCFL’s Top Ten until a month later, where it peaked at #6. (Oldiesloon has lost several years’ worth of surveys, including WLS’s 1974 surveys.) It did hit #2 nationally. During the hiatus in hit singles, Michael released several singles, including “Rockin’ Robin” and “Ben” in 1972. Jermaine also released a single, “Daddy’s Home,” in 1973.

The Jackson Five, your Two For Tuesday, February 28, 2017.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment