Friday, February 10, 2017

The Top Five From WLS 50 Years Ago Today

I just realized that this year looks just like 1967, except Easter is three weeks later this year, due to the way it’s calculated. Anyway, in 1967 we had just buried Dad (after a couple of weeks due to The Big Snow) and life was starting to get back to normal for us, whatever that meant. Here’s the Top Five from WLS fifty years ago today. Thanks again to Oldiesloon for collecting the surveys.

#5: New Colony Six, “I Love You So Much” Didn’t remember this one from Chicago’s own New Colony Six. This one was actually bigger in Canada than the US.

#4: Rolling Stones, “Ruby Tuesday” What more needs to be said about this classic from The Stones?

#3: The Seeds, “Pushin’ Too Hard” The Seeds were a band that did garage rock, psychedelic rock, and acid rock and excelled in all three.

#2: The Seekers, “Georgy Girl” The Seekers were a band out of Australia whose lead singer was the lovely Judith Durham. Their earlier hit, “I Know I’ll Never Find Another You” is sung at every Marriage Encounter weekend. At least it was at ours.

#1: The Monkees, “(I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone”/”I’m A Believer” This is one of those records that had two “A” sides, both fantastic songs. I’ve shared the story of how my brothers and I played the grooves off this one at a restaurant. We thought it was the best, and fifty years later, it still is one of the best.


And that’s The Friday Five for February 10, 1967 2017.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment