Sunday, February 26, 2017

The Mardi Gras Week That Was

This edition of The Week That Was is sponsored by Gorton’s Microwavable Fish Sticks. Trust Gorton’s for fish the way you want it!

Ash Wednesday is this week, and that means fish for dinner on Fridays, as well as on Wednesday. Unless you’re 59 or older, which Mary and I are, so we can have whatever we want. We’ll probably have fish anyway, or something without meat, because that’s just what you do during Lent.

The Week That Was

Before I start, a correction to my Stream of Consciousness Saturday post of a week ago, when we were talking about ham: the new face on the front of the $20 bill will be Harriet Tubman, not Sojourner Truth as reported. Everything else is the same. Thanks to AM at Ramblin’ with AM for her post today. Read it, it’s a good one.

As always, clicking on the badge brings you to the post. Here we go.

This past week’s Monday’s Music Moves Me was a freebie. I used the opportunity to share some of the research I’ve done into Top Ten songs when I was in high school, sharing the five acts that spent the most time in the Top Ten during that period, as determined by Billboard magazine. The topic for this week is Grammy Winners from the Eighties, and wait’ll you get a load of what I did.

The subject this past week was the band America, whose soft-rock sound was really popular in the early Seventies. This week, we salute Michael, Jermaine, Tito, Marlon, and Jackie Jackson, who had a great run in a time when family acts were very popular.

BATTLE OF THE BANDS! (BOTB Top Photo)

The results are in, and by a single vote, Doris Day edged out Amy Winehouse in Battle “Our Day Will Come.” I hope I can come up with a battle as good or better for this Wednesday.

1linerwedsbadgewes

This week’s one-liner came to us from Stephen T. McCarthy, who is the guru of the Battle of the Bands, and it dealt with hearing music from your childhood being played over the intercom in a grocery store. It’s even more disconcerting when you’re shopping on Senior Discount Day and hear “One Way Or Another” by Blondie.

The prompt was “fight,” and I wrote about fights in sporting events, primarily hockey.

The week before last, my knees were killing me, and I gave you five songs with “pain” in the title, and asked if you could think of more. We came up with enough for another post, even though “pain” isn’t a word you often run into in a title. And, just so you know, thanks to new shoes and glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM in addition to all the Aleve I was taking, the pain has dissipated back down to the level it was at before the serious pain I dealt with the week before. I’ve found that MSM works the best for me in killing joint pain, but I think I’ll also try turmeric at some point, which I hear is an excellent anti-inflammatory.

socsbadgecropped

Linda’s prompt yesterday was “how,” as in “How many bloggers does it take to change a light bulb?” “How” is a great word that starts a lot of jokes, and I shared several examples.

I also reblogged a post from Twila Price, a dear friend of mine who just started her own blog, The Magpie Library and Tea Room, where she plans on doing book reviews a couple of times a week. She had started her blog about a year ago, but technical difficulties prevented her from posting to it until now.

Thanks, as always, to my commenters this week:

I’ve been a busy little blogger and already have posts written for the first half of the week. I’m getting good at this. If I can get my posts together for the week, maybe I can start on my posts for the A to Z Challenge, coming this April to a blog near you. Which reminds me, I have a video to create for that.

That’s it for this edition of The Week That Was. Hope to see you soon!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment