Friday, February 24, 2017

The Friday Five: More “Pain” songs

Last week I was complaining of terrible pain in my knee, which just managed to get worse no matter what I did. This morning (it’s Wednesday as I write this), I did something drastic: I put on a new pair of shoes. And presto!, the pain was gone. There’s some residual pain, as well as the pain that occurs naturally when you’re close to 61 and very overweight, but the really bad stuff is gone. I had bought the new pair in 2015, not long after I had bought the previous pair, meaning I had worn the old shoes daily for over a year, and they were no longer giving any support. So, off to Hitchcock Shoes to get another pair (or two) of 10-1/2 6E’s to wear when this pair goes. I’ve been buying my shoes there for years, because I’ve got big ol’ feet, and they sell New Balance and Dunham shoes, which fit really well and give me the support that the old ones stopped giving.

Anyway, I asked if you could think of any more songs with “pain” in the title. I managed to stump several of you, including Arlee, which is a TV first, as Mom used to say, and probably puts me in line for an award or something. Pat said all he could think of was the band House of Pain, who did the song “Jump Around,” and suggested doing “jump” next, so I will, and hold onto his suggestion fo another week.

We managed to come up with six songs between us that had “pain” in the title, and here they are:

Suicide is Painless (theme from M*A*S*H) – Johnny Mandel Thought of this one myself. Note: Suicide is NOT painless for the people left behind. From the movie and TV show.

Pain In My Heart – Otis Redding Dan said, “I thought The Rolling Stones had a pain song.” He went on to say that he found a cover of an Otis Redding song they had done of this one. This was the title track of his 1963 album, and as a single it rose to #61 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) – The Rolling Stones After finding the last song based on what Dan told me, I found this other song, from The Stones’ 1983 album Undercover of the Night.

Love This Pain – Lady Antebellum Janet suggested this one. This is from their second studio album, 2010’s Need You Now. It wasn’t released as a single.

Painkiller – Judas Priest Jeanne Owens suggested this one, the title track from their 1990 album. It was released as a single, but no idea if it charted.

Feel No Pain – Sade Over on Twitter, user RelaxingSoundscape (who has a musical app that currently just runs on Android) saw that Alice Cooper’s “Pain” was removed (I’ll replace it soon) and suggesteed this instead, from Sade’s 1992 album Love Deluxe. It peaked at #59 on the R&B/Hip-Hop chart in 1993.

And that’s your Friday Five for February 24, 2017.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment