Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Finally, A #1LinerWeds From Me

file-feb-13-10-41-09

I was summoned for jury duty about nine years ago. I could have just as easily used my physical handicap to get out of it, but I didn’t. A friend of mine from Nigeria, who had become a US citizen not long before, told me that the judge who swore them in said that having a sufficient pool of jurors to draw from was necessary to preserve the Sixth Amendment right to a jury trial. When he told me that, I realized it was true, and promised myself that, if I was ever called to serve on a jury, I would.

I guess the people of Cobb County, Georgia had been good enough that there were few cases on the docket. The group I was in was called to be interviewed for a civil trial, which involved an insurance company that I do business with, so I was dismissed. They gave us a number to call to check whether we were needed the next day, and by Wednesday I was told they didn’t need my group and thanked us for our service to the Superior Court.

I got off the phone and told Mary, and said, “Gee, and I never got to sentence anyone to death. Life is full of little disappointments.”

(For the record, I would have a very hard time voting to take someone’s life. Don’t get mad at me.)

1linerwedsbadgewes

One-Liner Wednesday is brought to you by Linda Hill and this station. Now a word from Kenner Toys.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment