Wednesday, February 15, 2017

BATTLE OF THE BANDS: “Our Day Will Come”

BATTLE OF THE BANDS! (BOTB Top Photo)

A couple of weeks ago, Mary said the song “Our Day Will Come” was going through her head, and wanted to know who had done it. So, I looked it up, and learned that the song was written by Bob Hilliard and Mort Garson and became a hit for Ruby & The Romantics in 1963, when it reached #1. Here is the original version, for comparison purposes only; it’s not in the running.

They were the first to do it, but it’s been done many times since, including these two versions which, no kidding, gave me goosebumps. Both are done by women who I missed when I did my recently-ended Two for Tuesday series on Chanteuses. (I’m finding lots that I missed. Might have to do a Part II.) Give them both a listen.

CONTESTANT #1: Amy Winehouse From 2003, on her album Frank.

CONTESTANT #2: Doris Day From 1965, on her album Latin for Lovers. Hers was arranged by composer Mort Garson.

Were you as blown away by thse versions as I was? I never realized Amy Winehouse had such a gorgeous voice, and while I knew Doris Day was a singer, I remember her more from her movies with Rock Hudson and from her sitcom in the Sixties and forgot just what a delight her voice was.

So, the ball is in your court: listen to both versions (if you haven’t already), decide which you like best, and let me know your choice in the comments below. Then, how about visiting these blogs, where there might be additional battles for you to vote on.

I’ll announce the winner next Tuesday, February 21, so be sure and vote by then. The lines are now open, and best of luck to Ms. Winehouse and Ms. Day!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment