Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Two for Tuesday: Celine Dion

First, I was going through my photo collection (which really needs going through, because it’s in about a dozen places and I have no idea what’s there) and ran across the badge I made for Two For Tuesday a few months ago. In fact, I found a whole bunch of them. I’ll share the others as I find them.

I was in a pickle going into this week’s Two for Tuesday. I know who I’m doing next week, but had no clue who I would do this week. I remembered that I had done a tribute to Canadian artists for Canadian Thanksgiving a couple of years ago, and it was brought to my attention that I omitted one very popular one, the subject of today’s Twofer, Céline Dion.

For some reason, I never think about her (maybe because she doesn’t think of me, either), and I’m at a loss to explain why. She has a beautiful voice and has hits in both French and English. Maybe it was the whole Titanic thing, I don’t know. She’s been around a long time, first coming to the attention of René Angélil, her manager and later her husband, when she was twelve. He was so impressed by her he mortgaged his house to finance her first album in 1981. She won the 1982 Yamaha World Popular Song Contest and the 1988 Eurovision Song Contest, competing for Switzerland. She’s released 26 studio albums in French or English, including D’eux, the highest-selling French-language album in history, and 153 singles. And yet, she slips my mind…

“It’s All Coming Back To Me Now” is a power ballad inspired by Wuthering Heights and written by Jim Steinman. Meat Loaf wanted to record it, but Steinman said he preferred a woman do it. Céline recorded it for her 1996 album Falling Into You and released it as a single. It reached #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #3 in the British Singles chart.

“Je Sais Pas” was the second single off of Céline’s 1995 French-language album, D’eux. It reached #1 in France, Quebec, and Belgium (Wallonia) and #34 in the Netherlands.

Céline Dion, your Two for Tuesday, January 24, 2017.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment