Monday, January 2, 2017

Time #JusJoJan

Today’s Just Jot It January prompt comes to us from JoAnna over at Anything Is Possible!, although I know she has a new blog or two. To quote Groucho Marx, today’s secret woid is TIME.

Thing is, though, I wrote about time last Saturday. And a few months before that. And at the end of my very first A to Z Challenge. I’ve talked about time a lot here on the blog.

Basically, there’s no such thing as time. Only length. One trip around the Sun is a year, One spin on the Earth’s axis is a day, and the number of spins around the axis in one full trip around the Sun is the number of days in a year. We decided that there were sixty seconds in a minute, and sixty minutes in an hour, because sixty was a lucky number in some ancient civilization (the Sumerians or the Phoenicians, I think). I think it was the Sumerians, I’m not sure. There are 360° in a circle, and 3600 seconds in an hour, so each second is 0.1° around the circumference of the earth.

And at that point, my math breaks down. You’ll just have to take my word for it.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment