Thursday, January 19, 2017

The Last Time I Dressed Up (Writer’s Workshop)

s-l300

I don’t do dressed up. Neither does Mary. Jeans and polo shirts for me, jeans and a knit top for Mary. Before the stroke, it was khakis and polo shirts. Even when I was working. For a while, I had to wear a tie, so then it was a light blue Oxford cloth shirt and one of my five ties. I had six, except I taught a class in Hawai’i and one of my students, telling me that no one in Hawai’i wears a tie, cut it off me. Just as well. I didn’t like that tie.

The last time I can remember wearing a suit and tie was after I was laid off in 2008. I had put resumes out and got a call from an insurance company who said they needed trainers. This was post-stroke, so I had to get a clip-on tie and dig my one suit out of my closet and have it cleaned and altered. I got all dressed up and Mary drove me to a location way north of where we live, to a small office, where someone read questions to me and took down my answers, then asked me to show up for a training session that evening. I walked out after the interview, got in the car, and never looked back. The whole thing had an “Amway” feel to it. (With apologies to people who work for Amway.) I was a professional trainer, they wanted an insurance salesman. If I wanted to do that, I’d walk into traffic, praying for someone to put me out of my misery. (Again, with apologies to insurance salesmen.)

We did stop at Walgreens for chocolate bars and other stuff on the way home. So the trip wasn’t a total loss.

Kat’s prompt was, obviously enough, “Tell us about the last time you dressed up. What was the occasion?”




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment