Friday, January 6, 2017

The Friday Five: Garage Bands from 1966

Lori Carlson (whose blog you should be reading) commented on Sunday’s post about The Spiders From Mars, the name of David Bowie’s backup band. In my reply, I said it was a better name for a band than The Electric Prunes, the name of an actual band from the Sixties. Her reply made me think “I don’t think she realizes it’s a real band,” so I sought out their one hit to show her. Well, YouTube started suggesting bands to me, and before I knew it, I had my Friday Five. I give you five garage bands who had hits in 1966.

I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night – The Electric Prunes The Electric Prunes were from Los Angeles, and classified their music as “free-form garage music.” This song reached #11 in the US and #49 in the UK in 1966. They did have another record that charted, “Get Me To The World On Time,” that reached #27 in the US, which surprised me, because I don’t remember hearing it.

Pushin’ Too Hard – The Seeds Also from LA, The Seeds are the band that brought the term “Flower Power” to the mid-Sixties counterculture. This was released in 1965 and went nowhere, then was re-released in 1966, when it reached #36.

(We Ain’t Got) Nothin’ Yet – The Blues Magoos The Blues Magoos were from The Bronx, New York, and were at the forefront of psychedelic music. This was their lone big hit, reaching #5 in 1966.

Psychotic Reaction – The Count Five These guys were from San Jose, California, and sometimes wore Dracula capes when they played. They’re best known for this song, released in 1966, though there’s no indication it ever charted nationally. I found it on the KFWB (AM 980 Los Angeles) surveys, where it debuted on August 30 at #28 and reached #1 on September 27.

Talk Talk – Music Machine Another band from Los Angeles, this was their first record, released in 1966. It failed to reach the Hot 100, but at KFWB, the song debuted at #34 on October 4 and went as high as #5 on October 25.

So, there’s your Friday Five for January 6, 2017.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment