Sunday, January 8, 2017

The Fifth Anniversary Week That Was (Including Battle of the Bands Results)

Today’s edition of The Week That Was is sponsored by the Royal Bank. When you succeed, we succeed.

The Week That Was

I checked it out and yes, last Thursday was the fifth anniversary of The Sound of One Hand Typing.

cake1and1

Let’s see what’s gone on in the last week…

BATTLE OF THE BANDS! (BOTB Top Photo)

I have the results from last Sunday’s Battle, which was between Lambert, Hendricks, and Bavan and Stevelawrence and Eydie Gormé, the song being Steve Allen’s “This Could Be The Start Of Something.” I’m not certain whether Steve and Eydie were that good or Lambert, Hendricks, and Bavan were that bad, but it was a shutout.

Lambert, Hendricks, and Bavan: 0
Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gormé: 10

Congratulations, Steve and Eydie, and well done, Lambert, Hendricks, and Bavan.

The prompt was to play songs that expressed how I wanted thing to work out in 2017.

QotMBadge

The prompt was to identify our “growing up” moment. I pointed back to a post I had done last year, which had nothing about how it made me grow up, then filled in the blank.

2fortuesdaybadge

I featured the late Debbie Reynolds as my first chanteuse of 2017.

1linerwedsbadgewes

My cat Jasmine, who hasn’t been doing well for a while now, headed to the Rainbow Bridge Wednesday. She was special to me, and I miss her terribly already. Thanks for your expressions of sympathy. Here’s the picture I was looking for, from happier and sillier days.

I shared my top twelve blog posts from 2016, based on the number of comments I received on them because I didn’t know how else to decide. I got some good feedback on what I could do to improve things, including not posting every day. I’m not sure I want to do that, but I’ll take it under advisement.

The two things that tied Friday’s five songs together were that they were all released in 1966, and all of the bands had the “garage band” sound. The third might be that none of them had another hit.

socsbadgecropped

We had snow here in the Atlanta area overnight on Friday, and by sunrise on Saturday the whole town was socked in. Actually it wasn’t, prompting a few pithy comments to the Atlanta meteorologists on Twitter (check #atlsnow and #atlweather for some of them). The snow is practically gone now, but my front stairs are still covered with it, meaning I’m stuck inside until we figure out how to clear the stairs. The high tomorrow is forecast at around 40°, and by the end of the week they’re forecasting 70°. Looks like I’ll be getting out very soon.

Linda Hill’s blogging extravaganza, Just Jot It January, started last Sunday. Besides Wednesday and Sunday, here were the prompts.

  • Sunday: The prompt was “spider,” and I remembered that David Bowie’s backup band in the Seventies was The Spiders From Mars, so I played a track from Aladdin Sane, “The Jean Genie.”
  • Monday: The word was “time,” and I pontificated on what time actually is, an illusion.
  • Tuesday: The word was “warning,” so I shared a thing I had written where I took all the phrases from warnings on household products and TV.
  • Thursday: The word was “spangly,” and I shared the AT&T commercial about “bedazzling,” one of the funnier ones in their series featuring Milana Vayntrub as Lily, the customer service person in the AT&T store.
  • Friday: I took the prompt, “tangible,” out for a walk.

Thanks to all who commented last week. Go visit their blogs!

So that’s a quick look at last week. I tried to be brief, and I’d appreciate any suggestions on it.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment