Saturday, January 7, 2017

Ermahgerd! Snowmageddon! #socs #JusJoJan

Ah, yes, winter in the South. It was warm most of the early part of this week, then it started raining and getting cold yesterday. Then the sun set and the rain changed to sleet, then to snow. We got about two inches of snow overnight, and I swear, when that happens here, you’d think the world was coming to an end.

Now in most parts of the United States and definitely in Canada, two inches of snow is no big deal, right? I mean, look at this.

backyard
My backyard, taken about five minutes ago

I mean, you can still see part of my lawn. To someone who grew up in Chicago, this is nothing!

Now, you come down South, this is a Major Snow Event. They’ve been preparing for this all week. Already, the schools in my county are closed for at least this Monday. Mary talked to someone yesterday that said the produce section at Publix was stripped bare. Do you realize what that means? Even the kohlrabi was gone. Our weather people (called meteorologists, even though few of them have the training) are in full storm mode. No one is on the road; that’d be taking their lives and those of their loved ones in their hands.

And, of course, by Friday temperatures will be close to 70° (that’s 21 in the centigrade world). I won’t even need a coat. (You knew I was going to get the prompt into the post, right?)

Understand, we’re not going anywhere. I can’t get down the front stairs because they’re iced over, and that’s the only way I get out of the house. Naturally, our house faces north, meaning the sun is behind the house, therefore the stairs are in the shadow and won’t get any sunlight. So I’ll have to wait until it warms up and rains to get rid of the snow, or until Mary pours hot water on them to melt the ice and snow. That should be about midweek.


socsbadgecropped

Stream of Consciousness Saturday is brought to you each week by Linda Hill and this station. And this SoCS entry also works for Just Jot It January.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment