Monday, January 23, 2017

Billboard #1 Singles, 1970-1974

As I announced last Tuesday, my Two For Tuesday series of Chanteuses is coming to an end the week after tomorrow, and I think I’ve figured out my next series: High School!


New Trier West High School, Northfield, Illinois, my alma mater

I wrote about my high school days during the 2014 A to Z Challenge, though I only went there for three years; I served my sentence attended St. Ignatius College Prep my freshman year. But I was in high school from September 1970 to June 1974, and it was a pretty crazy time in music, with most bands fitting into one of two categories: good or sucks.

I thought it would be fun to look at the Billboard Hot 100 singles and share the #1 song for each year. After seeing the list, I’m not sure how much fun it will be…but anyway… Here’s the list.

1970: Simon & Garfunkel, “Bridge Over Troubled Water” This was popular when I was in eighth grade, and it was popular because it was a slow dance and guys like slow dancing. The flp side of the single was “The Only Living Boy In New York,” another slow one.

1971: Three Dog Night, “Joy To The World” Gotta have one by Three Dog Night if it’s the early Seventies. They were a favorite band of mine, as you know if you’ve been reading the blog for any amount of time.

1972: Roberta Flack, “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” I wish this had come out two years earlier, because if you like slow dancing, you don’t get much slower than this. This is actually a few seconds shorter than “Bridge” (above), but it seems longer.

1973: Tony Orlando & Dawn, “Tie A Yellow Ribbon ‘Round The Ole Oak Tree” Was popular again a few years later, when Iran released the hostages it had been holding. I love the guys that are dancing in the video; they’re either high or their girlfriends made them dance. Or both. You decide.

1974: Barbra Streisand, “The Way We Were” Both the movie and its theme song won Academy Awards in ’74, which is why it ended up the best-selling single that year. Top 40 radio stations would often follow this one with something by Led Zeppelin.

And that’s Monday’s Music Moves Me for January 23, 2017.

Monday’s Music Moves Me is sponsored by X-Mas Dolly, Callie, Cathy, and Stacy, so be sure and visit them, where you can also find the Linky for the other participants.


Photobucket



from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment