Sunday, December 4, 2016

The Week That Was for December 4, 2016

Here’s Robert Young for Sanka Brand Decaffeinated Coffee. Enjoy your coffee, and enjoy yourself!

I seem to recall doing something with Sanka before, maybe even with Robert Young, but I couldn’t find it. Not even in my index. Oh well.

The Week That Was

Cold and rainy here in the beautiful South. We’ve needed the rain, believe me, with fires in North Georgia and Tennessee. It’s been really dry, up until recently. Still getting over Amy’s death; she was doing poorly for sometime, so we were expecting it. Still, she was a good cat, a little goofy, maybe, but we loved her. Wish I had a picture of her to show you, but as I’ve said, we’re really bad about pictures. Anyway, the rest of the week was okay. Here’s this week’s summary.

We all shared Christmas music this week, and since I’ve done a lot of Christmas music posting over the years, I also did a post of all the Christmas posts I’ve done in the past. Dan said I should do a post of songs that aren’t playing in every public arena, which I’ve tried to do in some of the other posts. Arlee says that, as an old codger, he prefers the old hymns and carols. Christmas carols are some of the first songs every kid learns, and as Thanksgiving becomes Black Friday they find their way to the forefront of everyone’s mind. Several of you enjoyed BB King’s “Merry Christmas Baby,” one of my favorite of the non-traditional songs.

2fortuesdaybadge

Ella Fitzgerald was the featured artist this week. I shared a couple of songs from her Cole Porter and Jerome Kern songbook albums. She’s a favorite of mine, and I take it a favorite of yours as well. Joey said Ella’s one of her “doin’ stuff around the house” singers, and it’s not hard to see why. She always struck me as a very “up” person, and that voice…

1linerwedsbadgewes

I featured a line from the “Aussiest Interview Ever,” with a guy who helped apprehend a driver who had crashed his car into a Brisbane business and fled the scene. The interview is funny, and the guy has the kind of attitude I think we all should emulate.

Kat said “Write a post in exactly 100 words,” so I did, and talked about Amy and my latest obsession, collecting pictures from Instagram. There are some excellent photographers out there. Thanks to everyone for your condolences.

BATTLE OF THE BANDS! (BOTB Top Photo)

My latest battle is “‘Night And Day’: Ella Fitzgerald vs. Frank Sinatra.” I’ll announce the winner on Thursday, so get your vote in soon.

I’ve been thinking for some time that, when I do a survey post, I really ought to take the songs from the bottom of the list, because often those songs are either ones that are falling off the survey or just entering it, and many of them don’t get much play anymore. Friday’s list included a few that I never heard, and I was around when those songs made the survey.

socsbadgecropped

The prompt Linda picked for this week was to find a word that starts with “sh” and use that as a prompt. And of course I ignored what I was supposed to do, but I think it came our fine, anyway. I started by referring to an old Schweppes ad campaign from the Sixties, “Sch… You know who,” even though it starts with “sch” but is pronounced “sh.” From there I discussed how I think The Big Bang Theory, which stars Jim Parsons as Sheldon (there’s your “sh”), has jumped the shark. New reader Catherine Lynn (welcome!) said her husband had told her they were going to cancel the show after this season, which I wouldn’t mind at all, the way things are going. I had heard they had a contract through 2018, but there are always ways around that. Janet says she’s mostly watching the reruns and hasn’t seen many of the new episodes, and pointed out that Howard’s wife Bernadette has gone into labor, so the shows in the new year will probably center around that. I’m sorry, but I think the show was better when they were four socially-awkward college professors and a street-smart beauty. But that’s just me.

This past week, I ordered The Reporter Who Knew Too Much: The Mysterious Death of What’s My Line TV Star and Media Icon Dorothy Kilgallen, and it should find its way to my Kindle on Tuesday. Watching the reruns of What’s My Line? has made me curious about her, especially since I’ve learned she was born and raised in Canaryville on Chicago’s South Side, not far from where Mary and I lived after we were married (and near where Mary grew up). She’s introduced on the old shows as a theater columnist, but she thought of herself as a reporter. Not long before she died, she interviewed Jack Ruby, who killed Lee Harvey Oswald (JFK’s assassin). While the coroner said she had mixed narcotics and liquor, leading to her death, the official cause of death is listed as “unknown.” Richard Shaw, the author, has evidence that suggests she was murdered to keep her quiet about what Ruby told her, and if so, her killer might still be at large. It looks like it could be an interesting read. I have my suspicions about that. I’ll let you know what I think of the book when I finish it, which might be later this week or next.

Besides that, more of the usual. See you this week!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment