Thursday, December 15, 2016

A Favorite Quote (Writer’s Workshop)

Mama Kat said “Share a quote you love.” Well, I love quotes, and have a whole Evernote notebook full of them. I went through it earlier, and found one of my favorites. It might be yours, too.

The Producers (the original, with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder) is one of my favorite movies. If you’ve never seen it, or the stage play, or the film made from the stage play, make a point of it. The idea behind it is a Broadway producer (Mostel) and an accountant (Wilder), realizing they could make a fortune by producing the biggest flop they can, set out to do everything wrong. They choose a musical called “Springtime for Hitler,” written by a former Nazi, Franz Liebkind (played by Kenneth Mars). On opening night, the audience is stunned at first, then, believing it to be a comedy, start laughing, and the show gets rave reviews.

Liebkind is watching the show, and can’t believe people are laughing. He wrote a play to honor Der Führer and to tell them what a nice guy he was, and people are laughing at it. He finally gets up and declares,

It’s one of my favorite quotes. Not only is it the perfect line for that point in the movie, it’s also the perfect line for writers. The first time I shared this quote, I wrote “Every writer should print this out and put it on their bulletin board, and, whenever some particularly harsh criticism comes in, they need to remind themselves of this.”

So, that’s my favorite quote. What’s yours?




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment