Sunday, November 13, 2016

The “Happy Birthday, Kip” Week That Was

This week’s The Week That Was is brought to you by “Country Girls,” 36 great country hits by the original artists on three LP’s or two long-playing cassettes.

One thing that the Internet has eliminated is albums like this. I know you can find all this music online now, and that the media they were on is pretty much dated (although vinyl LP’s are making a comeback) and subject to damage (tapes stretch, records get scratched), but the commercials were kind of fun, weren’t they?

The Week That Was

Busy week this week, so let’s get right to it, shall we?

A freebie week on M4, so I did the first of two survey posts this week, counting down the Top Ten from Chicago’s WJJD on Noveber 7, 1960. Several readers (Janet, Dan, Xmas Dolly) said that they remembered these songs from older siblings or cousins playing them, while Arlee said that he hadn’t started listening to the radio just yet. Eugenia said these were from her era and she remembered most of them, but from what Colette said, all but “Save The Last Dance For Me” were unfamiliar. One of the big reasons I do these survey posts is there are a lot of songs that were popular in their day that you never hear anymore, and they were just as good as what you hear played over and over on “oldies” stations.

BATTLE OF THE BANDS! (BOTB Top Photo)

The Champion Supreme of “What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life?” (and thank heaven I don’t have to type that again) was Chris Botti, with Sting providing vocal accompaniment. Jeffrey said that he liked this format and might try it himself, while D-FensDogG congratulated me on getting the “Blowout Monkey” off my back. We’ll have another battle this Tuesday, one suggested by AM over at Ramblin’ With AM. You have been warned.

2fortuesdaybadge

Our featured artist this Tuesday was Miss Eartha Kitt, who, in addition to being a perfect Catwoman on the Batman TV series, was a tremendous singer, dancer, and actress. She wasn’t as popular here in the US as she was in Europe, possibly owing to an incident with Lady Bird Johnson in 1968, and it’s a shame. Commenters agreed that she was a unique performer and liked her voice. Janet mentioned she liked “Santa Baby,” which I would have included in this week’s post if it were closer to Christmas. We ain’t even had Thanksgiving in the US just yet.

1linerwedsbadgewes

I departed somewhat from the one-liner format to give my impressions of the recently-concluded (Deo gratias!) Presidential election. By the time the thing was over, I had had just about as much of the candidates and the news media as I could take. I’m just glad the whole thing is over.

The prompt I chose was to talk about some of my recent favorites, including the salted caramel mocha Frappuccino from Starbucks, frozen pizza from Chicago’s Home Run Inn, the game Two Dots, and ancient TV reruns which are becoming a greater part of our nightly TV viewing every week. Mama Kat said she wants to try a Home Run Inn pizza herself now, and for those of you interested in trying one yourselves, there’s a locator on their website that tells you where you can buy them. Here in the Southeast, Publix stores carry them, though not every type, and that’s probably true for the rest of the country. Uncle Jack said that he’s also a fan of HRI pizzas, and he’s one of the last of a breed of Bridge players. As hard as I’ve tried to learn the game, I’ve had no luck, and it wouldn’t do me much good, since there’s no one I know who plays it. My parents did, and Grandma Holton and her sister Florence were total Bridge fiends. Joey said she likes anything orange-flavored. I asked her if they still make Orange Crush, which isn’t as readily available in Coke Country as Fanta orange soda, and she assured me it is.

Yes, I did another survey post, this time from WLS on Veterans Day 1961, and no, I’m not sorry. Interesting that, even though WLS abandoned Country music when they went Top 40 about a year before, two songs in the Top Five were Country songs. I think the next time I do a survey post, I’ll start at the bottom of the survey, where the songs just entering or leaving the Top 40 get their start. Might be interesting.

I also reblogged a post from Linda Hill, who published an appeal to everyone’s better sense in the fallout from the US election. Read it.

socsbadgecropped

The prompt was “mem,” which could be a prefix, suffix, or happen somewhere in the middle of a word. Since I didn’t think a post on dismemberment was appropriate, I wrote about memes, which I had written about for another SoCS last year, which led me to a discussion of Facebook, on which I’ve announced a moratorium until after the first of the year, by which time (I hope) people will be over the election. I’ve removed the Facebook and Twitter apps from my Kindle Fire (I had uninstalled them on my phone a while ago, because they were hogging space on it) and don’t plan on putting them back on until I’m ready to come back. My brother Pat said he’s on the verge of dropping Facebook himself, and that fortunately he gets an email whenever I post here. Thanks, Pat! Gattina said she thinks Facebook is stupid, but she joined so she could see pictures of her grandchild, then found a page of people from her hometown that she likes, but she prefers the blogs. Annalisa said people now post to Facebook and Twitter what they used to keep to themselves, and that empathy was becoming a lost art. You know what? Yeah.

When you get a chance, go back and read through the comments. There are a lot I haven’t talked about to try and keep this down to a manageable size. Thank you to everyone who commented; if I haven’t replied or included it in this post, please know I appreciate all of them.

And that’s The Week That Was for November 13, 2016. Next week, more of the same and who knows what else. Those of you on Twitter, wish my brother and frequent contributor Kip a happy birthday. That goes for you Facebookers, too. I won’t say which one, Kippy, but happy birthday, dear brother, and I love you.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

2 comments:

  1. I feel like Christmas will soon be a whole year celebrations. I am totally not into it as we are going away this year and missing it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding. Will you be cruising this year?

    ReplyDelete