Friday, November 11, 2016

The Friday Five: Top 5 from WLS, Veterans’ Day 1961

I know, I did a survey post for Monday’s Music Moves Me. I’ve reached the point where I need to figure out what I’ve already done so I don’t repeat myself. If anyone knows how to get a post index out of WordPress, or if anyone has actually done it, please let me know. I’ll be eternally grateful.

Meanwhile, here’s what they were listening to 55 years ago today on WLS, “The Bright Sound” of Chicago (that’s what they were calling themselves in 1961). As always, surveys are courtesy of Oldiesloon.

#5: You’re The Reason – Bobby Edwards WLS had abandoned country music for rock & roll the year before, but country hits were still hitting the pop charts in the early Sixties. This is one of two country tunes in the Top Five this week.

#4: I Love How You Love Me – The Paris Sisters I didn’t realize that Bobby Vinton’s version of this was a cover. I like the Paris Sisters’ version better.

#3: Goodbye Cruel World – James Darren In addition to his acting, James had a pretty good voice, and had a couple of hits, specifically this one and “Her Royal Majesty.” We had a friend who broke up with his girlfriend and seriously considered entering the seminary, so we changed the words to “Goodbye cruel world, I’m off to join the priesthood…”

#2: Big Bad John – Jimmy Dean The other country song in the Top Five. Jimmy’s better known for his sausage products these days. In fact, I had one of his breakfast sandwiches this morning. My mom used to sing this to me to give me grief. Listening to it now, I should have been flattered.

#1: Runaround Sue – Dion The only song on this week’s survey you’re guaranteed to hear at least once a day (and usually more often) on “oldies” stations. Great song anyway.

You know, the next time I do a survey post, I think I’ll start from the other end and present the bottom five songs. There are some real goodies there. Anyway, there’s your Friday Five for Veterans’ Day 2016. And, to you veterans, thank you. We gripe about elections and who gets elected and who doesn’t without giving much thought to the men and women who served in the Armed Forces to secure the right and the freedom to cast our ballots for the people who would govern us, sometimes paying the ultimate price. Remember them today.


Source: Wikimedia Commons



from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment