Friday, November 18, 2016

A Twofer Friday Five: Songs Named For Cities

I don’t think I’ve done a set of songs like this. These ten songs (toldya it was a twofer) have city names. That’s all, so you won’t see songs like “The Streets of Bakersfield,” which contain the name of a city. You’ll see what I mean in a minute.

Calcutta – Lawrence Welk We start with a little “champagne music.” Lawrence and his orchestra and singers had a #1 hit with this in 1961. And Lawrence wasn’t even that crazy about recording it. Don’t know if it has been renamed “Kolkata”…

Galveston – Glen Campbell Jimmy Webb wrote it, Glen was backed by The Wrecking Crew, and he reached #1 on the Country chart, #4 on the Hot 100, and #1 on the Easy Listening chart in 1969.

Chicago – Quintette du Hot Club de France The winner of my February, 2015 Battle of the Bands, and you just knew I was going to put this one in, didn’t you?

Seattle – Bobby Sherman The theme song for the TV show Here Come The Brides, which starred Bobby among others. He was a teen heart throb in the Sixties and early Seventies, then left it all behind to become an EMT, a career he continues to practice to this day.

Montego Bay – Bobby Bloom I had to be sure Montego Bay was a city and not just the bay. It’s the second-largest city by area and fourth-largest by population on the island of Jamaica. This was Bobby’s one and only hit song, reaching #8 on the Hot 100 in 1970.

El Paso – Marty Robbins When I think country music, I think of guys like Marty Robbins and songs like this, which came from his 1959 album Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs. This reached #1 on both the Country chart and the Hot 100 in early 1960.

LaGrange – ZZ Top From their 1973 album Tres Hombres, it reached #41 on the Hot 100 in 1974. There are cities called LaGrange all over the US; this one refers to LaGrange, Texas, home of the infamous Chicken Ranch.

New Orleans – Gary U. S. Bonds I talked about this song recently when we were examining one of the surveys from 1960. Anyway, it reached #6 on the Hot 100 and #5 on the R&B chart that year.

Laredo – Chris Cagle A little modern country. I confess, I’m not familiar with Chris Cagle, but he sounds good. This reached #8 on the Country chart and #60 on the Hot 100.

San Francisco – Scott McKenzie I’ve done this a couple of times, usually when I reminisce about 1967. This reached #4 in the US and #1 in the UK during the Summer of Love.

That’s all the songs with city names I could think of. If you think of any others, leave me a comment.

That’s your twofer Friday Five for November 18, 2016. Only seven more days until Black Friday!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment