Friday, October 7, 2016

The Friday Five: Songs With “Change” In The Title

One of Kat’s other prompts for yesterday was “Write a blog post inspired by the word: change.” I actually thought of doing this yesterday, but then I thought, “what’ll I do tomorrow, then?” Anyway, here are five songs with the word “change” in the title.

Change Your Mind – JJ Cale JJ’s 1990 album Travel-Log was on near-constant play in the car wherever I went, and I’d still be listening to it if the thing hadn’t worn out on me. This song comes from that album.

I’d Love To Change The World – Ten Years After The late, great Alvin Lee was an amazing guitar player, as his performance at Woodstock would indicate. Here he gets quiet and introspective, and I think the acoustic beginning is at least as good as “Stairway To Heaven.”

There’ll Be Some Changes Made – Chet Atkins with Mark Knopfler I’m surprised that Chet never bestowed the “CGP” designation on Mark. They collaborated on 1990’s Neck And Neck and it was pure magic. The second half of this is just Chet and Mark trading licks.

Waiting On The World To Change – John Mayer I heard John Mayer play this on an episode of CSI:, generally the only way I hear any Top 40 music that was made after 1990 or so. Listening to it today, I was struck by how much Mayer sounds like Steve Winwood. Anyone else hear that? This was the first single off his 2006 Continuum album.

Changes – David Bowie There are several songs named simply “Changes,” but this is the one I think of. From 1971’s Hunky Dory, toward the beginning of his “Ziggy Stardust” phase.

So those are the five I came up with. Which ones do you recommend? That’s the Friday Five for October 7, 2016.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment