Monday, October 31, 2016

Monday’s Music Moves Me: Witches, Gypsy Women, Hoodoo, etc.

As I said in my post last year, I’m not into Hallowe’en. I almost pointed out that Hallowe’en is short for “All Hallow’s Eve,” being the day before All Saints’ Day, and given you five songs with “saint” in them. Then I realized that there were more than a few songs about witches, Gypsy women, voodoo, etc. and this playlist was born. Hope you like it.

Witchy Woman – Eagles Their first Top Ten hit reached #9 in 1972 in the US and #8 in Canada.

Witch Queen of New Orleans – Redbone Their second single rose to #2 in the UK but only to #21 in the US. It’s a great song, too. Go figure.

Marie Laveau – Dr. John This isn’t the song by Bobby Bare that was covered by Dr. Hook. I first heard this on an album my Dad had that featured the Albert “Papa” French Dixieland Band (originally the Oscar “Papa” Celestin Dixieland Band). The original is here, and I chose not to go with it because it’s kind of hard to hear, and besides, Dr. John does it in his own unique style. Marie was a Creole woman who practiced voodoo in New Orleans, and the song tells her story, sort of.

Love Potion #9 – The Clovers The original version of this Lieber and Stoller classic, covered many times, never quite duplicated. It reached #23 on the Hot 100 and the R&B Chart in 1959.

Hoochie Coochie Man – Muddy Waters Willie Dixon, Muddy’s onetime bass player, has composed hundreds of blues songs, including this, which incorporates Gypsy women, hoodoo (the black cat bone, the mojo, the John the Conqueror root), and a reference to the “seventh son of a seventh son” legend. Muddy recorded this in 1954 and a number of times after; this is the original.

And that’s Monday’s Music Moves Me for October 31, 2016.

Monday’s Music Moves Me is sponsored by X-Mas Dolly, Callie, Stacy, Cathy, and Naila Moon, so be sure and visit them, where you can also find the Linky for the other participants.


Photobucket



from The Sound of One Hand Typing

1 comment:

  1. As a kid I liked Halloween, but I am over it. My husband on the other hand loves, loves, loves it! He is out trick or treating with our niece while I spend a quiet night at home!

    ReplyDelete