Thursday, September 1, 2016

Writer’s Workshop: Thirteen Lines of Stream-of-Consciousness

The meteorologists call today, September 1, the beginning of autumn.

We know it doesn’t actually get here until later in the month, but that’s the arrival of astronomical autumn.

For many, summer ends on Monday, Labor Day in the United States and Labour Day in Canada.

When I was in school, the year began on the Wednesday after Labor Day.

This was the week we would take vacation and go to Delavan, Wisconsin when Dad was alive.

He’d golf, and when he got back we’d go to the beach and maybe to a movie in the evening.

I miss those days.

Now, kids start back to school at the beginning of August.

They get ten weeks off between Memorial Day and the start of school.

It’s still summer when they go back, and here in the South it’s still hot.

I don’t know how they do it, really; I mean, I’d be upset at losing a chunk of summer vacation that big.

And if I were a teacher, I’d want that month back.

I’m glad those days are behind me.

 




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment