Monday, September 12, 2016

Monday’s Music Moves Me: TV Game Show Themes

I have a semi-regular feature here called “TV Themes.” I forget what I’m up to by now, so this is either volume seven or eight or something. I used to be good about building playlists of them, and have several out there: the main list, Part 5 dedicated to Mike Post, Westerns, and themes by Snuffy Walden.

Anyway, today’s list is all about game shows. I have ten here, but they’re short, I promise.

Mary and I have been watching a lot of old game shows lately. A local station plays reruns of the original Password, What’s My Line?, and You Bet Your Life, and Buzzr plays reruns of To Tell The Truth, What’s My Line?, and I’ve Got A Secret every night from 9 to 11 (we miss the second hour because we’re watching Hogan’s Heroes). And, of course, we still watch Wheel of Fortune (with the sound off; Mary doesn’t like the sound of the wheel) and Jeopardy! We no longer get the Game Show Network, because we don’t have cable, but we used to watch a lot of those shows as well. I watched a lot of game shows when I was younger; it’s a genre that seems to have died now that most people are working and not at home in the morning and afternoon. The Price Is Right soldiers on with Drew Carey as host, and there’s a reboot of Let’s Make A Deal with Wayne Brady in Monty Hall’s place. But that’s it. Sponsors, who used the shows as advertisements, recognize that no one’s watching the shows anymore, so they’ve been replaced with endless talk shows, which are much cheaper to make.

Jeopardy!

The Price Is Right

The Match Game (“Swingin’ Safari”) (the NBC version that ran from 1962 to 1969)

To Tell The Truth

Password (1961 version)

What’s My Line? (1968 and 1972 version)

Concentration (“Fast Break,” theme from 1973-1978)

Wheel of Fortune (1989-1992)

The Joker’s Wild

You Bet Your Life (“Hooray For Captain Spaulding”)

And that’s your Monday’s Music Moves Me for September 12, 2016. Did you watch game shows as a kid? What were your favorites?

Monday’s Music Moves Me is sponsored by X-Mas Dolly, Callie, Stacy, Cathy, and Naila Moon, so be sure and visit them, where you can also find the Linky for the other participants.


Photobucket



from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment