Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Two For Tuesday: John Hiatt

John Hiatt wrote and recorded the original version of “Sure As I’m Sittin’ Here” in 1974, which Three Dog Night recorded later that year. It was a minor hit for TDN, reaching #16 in the US and #18 in Canada, and it earned John a recording contract with Epic Records. Since then, he’s recorded 21 albums and his songs have been covered by a number of artists, including Dutch singer Ilse DeLange, whose album Dear John includes nine of his songs.

Mary and I went to a Robert Cray concert at the Fox Theater in Atlanta (probably in 1989), and Hiatt was the opening act. By then, I had heard “Slow Turnin’,” the title track from his 1988 album, but that was really the only song local radio stations were playing. I liked the song, so I was looking forward to seeing him. He did not disappoint. Here’s “Slow Turnin’,” our first selection today.

Our second selection is his original “Sure As I’m Sittin’ Here.”

John’s website hasn’t been updated since 2014, when his last album, Terms of My Surrender, was released. Starting in late September, he’ll be playing concerts in smaller venues, calling the shows “An Acoustic Evening With John Hiatt.” The schedule is here, and includes a couple of shows here in Atlanta and one at The Ark in Ann Arbor, Michigan (Twila, one of my subscribers, knows The Ark well; she, her husband, and I spent an evening there many years ago). He has a Facebook page and a presence on Twitter, although neither is updated frequently.

John Hiatt, your Two For Tuesday, August 2, 2016.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment