Friday, August 5, 2016

The Friday Five: “Moon” Songs

I was flipping around through YouTube, trying to think of a good theme for this week’s Friday Five, and landed on our first song today, and said “there’s my theme!” So today, five songs with “moon” in the title, and I made it easy on myself: I allowed it to be part of another word. At the end of all of this, you just know I’ll ask you for your suggestions, because that’s just the kind of guy I am…

Everyone’s Gone To The Moon – Chad & Jeremy The original single was by Jonathan King, who had a hit with it in 1965. Chad & Jeremy covered it on their 1966 Distant Shores album, but didn’t release it as a single. Seems funny, becaause I know I’ve heard this played on some radio stations.

Moondance – Van Morrison The title track from his 1970 album, Van didn’t release it as a single until 1977, but it got lots of play on FM radio in the Seventies.

Moonshadow – Cat Stevens This was from his 1971 album Teaser and The Firecat. When he converted to Islam and changed his name to Yusuf Islam, he decided to make a Greatest Hits album from his “Cat Stevens” days, and this was included on it. A short animation was made of this song, narrated by Spike Milligan. The song reached #10 on the Adult Contemporary chart and #30 on the Hot 100 that year.

Blue Moon – The Marcels A standard by Rodgers and Hart, The Marcels, a doo-wop group from Pittsburgh, covered it in 1961. It was a #1 hit on the Hot 100, on the R&B chart, and on the UK singles chart that year.

Man On The Moon – R.E.M. I had to include these guys from Athens, Georgia. Written by Michael Stipe as a tribute to Andy Kaufman, it was on their 1992 album Automatic For The People. As a single it reached #30 on the Hot 100, #2 on the Modern Rock Tracks chart, and #4 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks charts that year.

So, there are my five. What are some of your favorite “moon” songs?

That’s The Friday Five for August 5, 2016.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment