Monday, August 22, 2016

Monday’s Music Moves Me: Songs That Inspire Me… Hmmmmm…

“Songs that inspire us,” huh? I’m not sure that there are any that “inspire” me, per se. But, here are a few songs that make me feel good when I hear them. I guess that’s inspiration, right?

Abraham, Martin, And John – Dion This came out not long after Bobby Kennedy was assassinated. The messages of this song, “someday soon we’re gonna be one,” and “didn’t they try to find some good in you and me?” are good for this day and age.

The Potter’s House – Tramaine Hawkins I first heard this at an interfaith service for people who had died or were dying of AIDS, and when they got to the line, “the potter wants to put you back together again,” I lost it. The lyrics are here.

O Happy Day – The Edwin Hawkins Singers A classic that I’m sure nearly every church choir does. Ours does a pretty good job of it, except they do it too fast. I didn’t realize it until I heard the original again. I love hearing choir music like this.

Mornin’ – Al Jarreau Al Jarreau is a wonderful singer, and this song in particular is just so damn happy, you can’t help but feel good after hearing it. I love the bridge, that seems to build energy until he hits that high note.

Let’s Stay Together – Rev. Al Green This was popular when I was in high school, and since Al became the Reverend Al it just seems to have a whole new meaning.

So there are my five inspirational songs. What are yours?

Monday’s Music Moves Me is sponsored by X-Mas Dolly, Callie, Stacy, Cathy, and Naila Moon, so be sure and visit them, where you can also find the Linky for the other participants.


Photobucket



from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment