Friday, July 15, 2016

The Friday Five: “Strange” Songs

I used “Hello Stranger” as the basis for my Battle of the Bands this round, which got me thinking about songs with the word “strange” in the title. I came up with at least five; maybe you can come up with more.

People Are Strange – The Doors The first song I thought of when I came up with the theme. It was the first single from The Doors’ 1967 album Strange Days and peaked at #12 on the Hot 100, while reaching the Top Ten on the Cash Box survey.

Strange Magic – ELO From their 1975 album Face The Music, this song was released as a single in 1976 and rose to #14 on both the Hot 100 and the Cash Box survey.

Strange Brew – Cream Some classic British blues by one of the great British blues bands. This appeared on their 1967 release Disraeli Gears and reached #17 when released as a single in the UK.

Strange Things Happen – The Beach Boys This is from their 1992 album Summer In Paradise, not exactly a high point for the band. When released, the album sold less than a thousand copies and bankrupted an independent distributor. This song is a perfect example of strange things happening…

Strange – Reba McEntire I’m not much of a country music fan, but I love the way Reba McEntire sings. This was the first single from her 2009 album Keep On Loving You and peaked at #11 on the Country chart.

And that’s your Friday Five for July 15, 2016.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

4 comments:

  1. Hi-ya. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. It's my pleasure to return the favor.

    And what a post for me to visit! I LOVE the Doors. The other songs are good, too, but "People Are Strange" is one of my favorites. (Then again, I'd have to think really hard to try to come up with a Doors song I DON'T like...)

    Doesn't look like I can sign on to be a groupie here, eh? I'll check out the Wordpress post and see if I can follow there. Anyhow, nice to meetcha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the "simulcast" blog; I set it up a couple of years ago for people who couldn't/didn't want to figure out how to comment on WordPress. That's the one I update, then IFTTT takes the post and posts it here.

      Not sure what you mean by signing on to be a groupie, but you should be able to get the RSS feed from either blog, and you can get the posts by mail over at WordPress.

      Delete
  2. People are strange is a wonderful way to capture our species:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim Morrison was a good observer of humanity.

      Delete