Sunday, July 17, 2016

A Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Week That Was

This edition of The Week That Was is sponsored by Black Rhino Productions, whose movie Doctor Detroit, starring Dan Aykroyd, Howard Hesseman, and Donna Dixon, opens this Friday at a theater near you. Check local listings for theaters and showtimes.

I know, the movie’s 33 years old. We rented it on VHS back when that was The Thing To Do, and I didn’t think it was that bad. I enjoyed seeing the Northwestern campus, for old times’ sake. The classroom they show him teaching in is the big lecture room in Swift Hall, though I can’t remember the room number; I had several classes there in my two years in Wildcat Country. Interesting how that worked out: on more than one occasion I had consecutive classes (e.g. a 10:00 and an 11:00) in the same classroom, and there were buildings on campus I never set foot in. Weird.

The Week That Was

Monday’s Music Moves Me was a freebie week, so I found the WJJD survey for that date in 1960 and gave you the Top Ten. There were several songs on it that I had either never heard or hadn’t heard in so long I had forgotten them. Oldies radio tends to focus on the most popular acts and the most popular songs by them, and you miss a lot that way, which is why I like going through the surveys and playing the music from them, and why I feature them so often.

I picked up a book recently, Chicago’s WLS Radio, part of Arcadia Publishing’s “Images of America” series. It was written by Scott Childers, who runs the WLS History site, and it’s chock-full of pictures from all eras of the station’s history. I’ve really enjoyed it, and it will be a great addition to my radio and TV collection.

Two for Tuesday featured Hoyt Axton, another songwriter whose material was done by Three Dog Night. Mollie was very happy about this, as Hoyt is one of her favorite singers and songwriters. Eugenia was impressed by my research ability, generally reading things about the artist on Wikipedia and other web resources (web pages, Facebook, Twitter) and mixing it with my personal recollections, assuming I have any. But thank you!

Bee Halton posted an article last week, and I thought one line from it was good enough to post for One-Liner Wednesday. I told her later in the comments that I thought, after a century of assuming politicians and other people we’ve elevated to “leader” status have our best interests in mind, we’re all starting to realize, hey, they’re more interested in their own interests, and that just maybe we agree with each other more than we give ourselves credit for and we can get a whole lot farther working with each other than against each other. Kind of like the old Canned Heat song…

Thursday’s Writer’s Workshop entry was sparked by the prompt which asked what I’d do if social media went away tomorrow. I came back to my oft-repeated statement that social media is a great time-suck, and while it’s nice to connect with family, friends, and people with similar interests, one can sit there for hours scrolling through one’s timeline (Fcebook, Twitter, etc.) and not leave time for other things, like reading, having “face time” with family and friends, or pursuing other hobbies that don’t involve a web browser or an app on a cellphone or a tablet. Several readers said that it was terribly easy to fall into the rabbit hole and be lost for hours. I agree.

If you haven’t voted in Battle “Hello Stranger”: The Capitols vs. Yvonne Elliman, my latest Battle of the Bands, you have until Thursday night to do so, because I’ll announce the winner on Friday.

I used the prompt “strange” for The Friday Five, finding five songs with that word in the title. Mollie found one I didn’t put on the list: “Love Is Strange” by Mickey and Sylvia, from 1956…

Over on Facebook, Kip said if the word was “stranger,” he would have come up with a bunch. I think everyone could have.

The prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday was “if/then,” which, to a veteran of the computer field, suggested control logic, i.e. IF-THEN-ELSE statements. I talked a little bit about the computer languages I’ve learned over the years. It used to be, if you knew COBOL, you could get a job in computers. Now, you have to know the current Flavor of the Month, whether it’s C#, C, C++, Objective-C, Java, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Python, Ruby on Rails, blah blah blah. I’m glad I’m retired.

And that’s it for this week. Tomorrow looks like another freebie week for M4, I need to figure out if there are any other songwriters of note whose material was performed by Three Dog Night, and, you know, all the other stuff. Hope to see you this week!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

2 comments:

  1. I hope the world has a peaceful week this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that, although it hasn't started out well...

      Delete