Sunday, June 26, 2016

The Last Week That Was of June

Here are Homer & Jethro for Kellogg’s Corn Flakes!

Henry “Homer” Haines (guitar) and Kenneth “Jethro” Burns (mandolin) were a music and comedy duo who did satires of popular songs. They’re thought of as a comedy duo but both were outstanding musicians, both influenced by none other than Django Reinhardt. After Homer died in 1971, Jethro continued to play in the Chicago area and recorded with Steve Goodman on the latter’s last couple of albums. Jethro’s son John was a guitarist and singer who had a band that played in the Chicago area (and might still be playing). We adopted two kittens many years ago and named one Homer and the other Jethro. Jethro has since passed on, but Homer is still with us.

The Week That Was

Another music-filled and enjoyable week here at The Sound of One Hand Typing!

Monday’s Music Moves Me‘s theme was “summer playlist.” I had put together a playlist for the beginning of the summer last year, so instead I looked at the survey from KHJ radio Los Angeles from June 21, 1967 and shared the Top Five. Some great songs there, including Scott MacKenzie’s “San Francisco,” which brought back memories of us visiting California while Mom looked for a new job. Fabulous Auntie Jill over on Facebook said that it was more than just a passing thought; Mom was ready to take the three of us and move to the San Francisco Bay Area after Dad died. She decided against moving us away from the family and all our friends, I think because she didn’t want to leave Grandma, who had just lost her son. Mom and Grandma were very, very close. That was Grandma: her daughters-in-law were her daughters. I’m glad we didn’t move, but I wonder sometimes what it would have been like. It’s the writer in me.

Laura Nyro was the subject of this week’s Two for Tuesday. Several of you (Arlee, Joey, and JMH) said they were unfamiliar with her, but knew her music. Her music was ubiquitous; she wasn’t, and it’s a shame. Makes you want to head out to YouTube and learn what other songs she wrote, doesn’t it?

My latest Battle of the Bands was won by Glen Campbell, though it was much closer than I thought it would be. I liked both his and June Christy’s version of “I Remember You” about the same, and had the battle ended in a tie, I wouldn’t know which way I’d go. And, know what? I’d’ve let the tie stand.

I shared an image quote I found on Facebook, of all places, for One-Liner Wednesday. You can find some very funny stuff out there, if you can find it through all the political posts. Ally Bean agreed, saying that’s true of just about all social media. We had social media when we were kids; it was the alley between Glenwood and Wayne Avenues.

Well, Mama Kat asked for another summer playlist, and I gave some thought to just republishing last year’s, then decided to create another list. I actually found twelve songs I hadn’t thought of last year and created a new one. Last year, I had built them into a playlist, although I was hearing from some people they were having trouble pulling the playlists up, so I stopped doing it; eventually, though, I’ll build a playlist with the new selections. Joey said she was going to turn up “Saturday In The Park” while she read the rest of her blogs. I love the way Robert Lamm hammers the piano at the beginning of that one. Great song. Madam Dreamweaver said she recognized all the songs and artists, something she can’t say about music recorded after 1987 unless they’ve played it in her Zumba class. I know the feeling, believe me. I’m pretty well lost after about 1992, at least with music on the Hot 100. (What’s a Nicki Minaj?)

A week ago last Friday, it was storming outside our local Starbucks (okay, one of the twenty or so), gave you five songs about storms, and asked for suggestions for another playlist. I ended up with more than five good songs, and turned them into a playlist, and also received a couple of good “rain” songs, which I added to that playlist. The Classics IV, whose “Stormy” kicked off your suggestions, were a Southern band, for a time based in Atlanta, and Lauralynn said she hadn’t realized that Dennis Yost, who was sort of their leader, had fallen down the stairs and caused pretty bad brain trauma from which he died in 2008. I don’t think he was hospitalized the whole time between his accident and death; Wikipedia notes that he made an appearance with the band before choosing Tom Garrett to replace him.

Sometimes I think I should have been a disk jockey…

Our prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday was “drink,” and I wrote about how I ended up only drinking water and decaf coffee for the most part. I mentioned I don’t drink enough water, and Arlee said it was the same for him. Back in the Sixties, they told us eight eight-ounce glasses of water a day. That must be a minimum, because I’m still thirsty after that much water. A nurse practitioner told me that three quarts was the most she’d suggest, because I guess you can drown yourself if you drink too much water (that was the basis for a scene in an NCIS episode, I remember), but I think it varies. I’ve heard one ounce for every pound you’re overweight, but then I’m looking at almost two gallons. I’ll look it up at some point and let you know.

So, that’s last week. Friday is July 1, so I’ll be doing another Battle of the Bands then, plus all your favorite features. Thanks for reading, and see you next week!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment