Friday, June 10, 2016

The Friday Five: Reader’s Choice “Dream” Songs

Last week, I gave you an assignment to suggest songs that had the word “dream” in the title, and I’m happy to say that my readers responded. Thanks, everyone! Here are the songs you suggested…

All I Have To Do Is Dream – The Everly Brothers A couple of people, most notably Mary, asked how I could have forgotten this one. Well, I didn’t forget it, just had too many other good ones to share last week. This one reached the top of the Billboard Hot 100 for a week in May 1958, the top of the R&B chart for four weeks, and was the top-selling Country & Western single for two weeks. It was written by Felice and Boudleau Bryant, who were featured in my Songwriting Teams series on Two for Tuesday.

Dreams – The Cranberries Liam suggested this one; I had never heard it before, or it was one of those songs I’d heard but it didn’t register. Anyway, it’s a great tune. It rose to the Top 15 on the Billboard Hot 100 Airplay chart in 1994.

I’ll See You In My Dreams – Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler Uncle Jack suggested this one, but couldn’t remember who made it popular. It was written by Isham Jones with lyrics by Gus Kahn in 1924, and recorded by Jones with the Ray Miller Orchestra in 1925. It was recorded by Django Reinhardt and the Quintette du Hot Club de France in the 1930’s, which inspired Merle Travis to come up with his version. Travis inspired Chet Atkins, and so on. It as on the soundtrack of the 1940 film Kitty Foyle, for which Ginger Rogers earned her only Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role. Joe Brown did a particularly touching version at the Concert for George, the concert in honor of the late George Harrison. Here’s a version by Chet Atkins and Dire Straits guitarist Mark Knopfler, which was included on their 1990 album Neck and Neck.

I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night – The Electric Prunes Arlee suggested this one. This was released in November 1966, and it started up the charts after Christmas, peaking at #11 on the Hot 100 in 1967. It was written by Annette Tucker and Nancie Mantz, who conceived it as an orchestral piano ballad.

The Impossible Dream – Richard Kiley JoAnna suggested this one, and said it influenced her childhood. Mine, too; we sang it at eighth grade graduation from St. Ignatius School in Chicago (1970). She shared the Peter O’Toole version from the 1972 film Man of La Mancha; I chose this version by Richard Kiley, who sang it in the Broadway play in 1966. Kiley is a graduate of Loyola University Chicago, also my alma mater. When I graduated from Loyola in January 1978 (three and a half years, mind you), he was in Chicago on a revival of the play, and rumors abounded that he would appear at graduation to sing the song. Had it been in June, it might have been so, but this was midyear graduation, so instead we heard a rousing lecture about education in the Middle Ages by some Jesuit scholar, after which they woke us up and gave us our diplomas.

So that’s what you came up with. There are many, many songs with “dream” in the title, and I’ll probably include these and the ones from last week in a playlist, so if you have further suggetions, let me know.

That’s your Friday Five for June 10, 2016.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment