Monday, June 6, 2016

Question of the Month: Travel Destinations? #qotm

QotMBadge

Michael has a puzzler for us today:

Of all the places in the world that you haven’t yet been to, where would you like to go next?

When I was employed, I did a lot of travel on business, and saw 31 out of the fifty United States, Canada, and locations on four continents (Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America). It’s a good thing I did all that travel when I was young and healthy, because now that I’m disabled, I can no longer drive, and Mary prefers to stay close to home. I doubt we’ll be doing any travel outside the state of Georgia, let alone out of the country.

I have no regrets. Travel is a huge pain in the ass at best, and I don’t need the hassle. There are a few places I would have liked to have seen, and others I’d have liked to have seen again, but on the whole, I’m content to stay within a five-mile radius of home.

As for places I would have liked to see:

  • Paris. I spent four hours in Charles de Gaulle Airport on my way back from Singapore, and that’s the closest I got. I’ve seen pictures people have taken, and think it is a beautiful city, and often imagined sitting in a cafe, drinking espresso and smoking Gaulioses, even though I quit smoking years ago.
  • Mongolia. Don’t ask me why, I just decided one day that I wanted to know more about it, and I liked what I saw. It looks like a beautiful place.

Places I would have liked to see again include:

  • Cincinnati. It’s where Dad was born, and my grandmother loved living there. I visited a number of times when I was working, and got a chance to find my way around. And Reds fans are great; I’d try to see a balllgame whenever I went, because it was a great atmosphere. I loved sitting in the red seats behind home plate, way up high where I could see everything. 
  • The strip of beach between Santa Monica and Ventura in southern California. I walked it one afternoon, all the way down and all the way back. It’s a long way, but worth every step, and the sight of the sun falling into the Pacific Ocean (not really, but it sure looks that way) is not to be missed.

I’m grateful for the opportunities I had to  travel, even on business, and have no regrets that I won’t be traveling any tome in the foreseeable future.

I’m sure I’ll have a chance to visit all of your blogs, though, and I’ll be interested to see what y’all have to say…




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

2 comments:

  1. Even though traveling is a big pain, I still love it! I have a few places on my want to go list - Moscow, Scotland, Germany, Asia, Africa, Australia. We spent 12 days in Paris, loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to Scotland and Australia, as well as a tiny portion of Asia (i.e. Singapore). I enjoyed myself in all three.

      Delete