Saturday, June 25, 2016

Liquid Refreshment #socs

About the only things I drink now are water and decaf coffee. And milkshakes, the occasional Frapuccino, and the lemonade at Chick-Fil-A.

I used to drink alcoholic beverages to excess, especially when I was in college and when I was in the pipe band. For a long time, I’d have three or four beers at home when I came home from work. I never liked to drink when I was driving, sso that kept me from doing it too much, but when I was in a mood to drink, I did. Then I learned I had high blood pressure, and had to take medication for it. I decided it probably was a good idea to stop drinking beer and whiskey altogether, so I did. I don’t miss it. I was talking to a friend of mine once, and mentioned that. He said, “I’m the same way. I figured I did enough of that when I was younger.”

My problem was the energy drinks, like Red Bull. I’d have a few of those a day, much more than any sane person should. It was probably that constant jacking my metabolism up that brought on my stroke. That and trying to get everything done at once, because I had been putting it off.

When I got out of the hospital, I started drinking a lot of soda. Diet soda, of course, and caffeine-free. The aspartame was screwing up my kidneys, I think, and finally I decided to only drink water and decaf coffee. It took about a week, but I felt so much better not having the aspartame. Now I don’t touch the stuff.

I noticed that, the more water I drank, the lower my blood pressure went. I felt like I had unlocked the secret to the universe. I don’t drink enough water now, but I drink decaf coffee all day. I really need to drink more water. I’m just afraid it’ll keep me up all night going to the bathroom, although with the lymphatic drainage, I notice I don’t as much. I think during the day all the liquid I drank would settle in my leg, then at night when I was lying down it would run through my system and I’d end up going to the bathroom a lot. Not a good thing.


socs-badge-2015

 

Stream of Consciousness Saturday is brought to you each week at this time. Linda Hill is the person who runs the blog hop, and you can find all the pingbacks from everyone and the rules here.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

1 comment:

  1. I use to drink more alcohol than I do. These days a few times a week I have about 1/2 glass of wine with dinner. From time to time, I may have a cocktail. Most days I drink about 8 glasses of water and one or two herbal teas. Rarely, I may go crazy and have an Earl Grey Team with caffeine. I don't even like the smell of coffee so have never gotten into it. I also have a glass of orange juice maybe once a week. Water became the main thing I drank after my mom had major kidney problems (as in they both almost complete stopped working). To help prevent that, I drank a lot. I tend to "front load" my water and only drink a little after dinner to prevent too many night time trips to the bathroom. Good luck drinking more water.

    ReplyDelete