Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Two For Tuesday ENCORE! The Monkees

I’ve been doing this feature since June 29, 2012, meaning it’ll be celebrating its fourth anniversary next month. I’ve done over 200 of these, and I’m starting to forget who I’ve done. So, what I’ve decided to do is to build an index of all of them, hyperlinked and everything, and have it as a permanent page on the website, one that’ll be updated as I have more Two for Tuesdays. So, while I work on that, here’s an encore presentation (i.e. a rerun) of the first Two For Tuesday I did.

The Monkees. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, they were a band formed specifically to star on a TV show, most of their music was performed by studio musicians, blah blah blah.

The Monkees premiered on NBC in 1966. The show was a hit almost immediately. I, being a little jaded after The Beatles, was a little too cool for them, but there was nothing else on, so I watched.

My father went into the hospital and died in January, 1967. A few weeks later, Mom and the three of us went on a ski trip along with her cousins and several of her sisters. That weekend, we must have worn out the hotel jukebox’s copy of “I’m a Believer” and “(I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone.” I was hooked. And they got better as they went along, as these two songs from the second season prove.

The show, and the band, lasted just two seasons. I probably shouldn’t say that; the reruns are probably playing on a cable channel, and the remaining members (Mike Nesmith, Peter Tork, and Micky Dolenz) are no doubt off doing oldies concerts.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment