Sunday, May 29, 2016

The Week That Was, Memorial Day 2016 Edition

This edition of The Week That Was is sponsored by Kellogg’s Cocoa Krispies. Cocoa Krispies taste like a chocolate milkshake, only crunchy!

In the race between Cocoa Krispies and Cocoa Puffs, Krispies definitely won. And it was a lot of fun to drink the milk afterward. That might have been the best part about it.

The Week That Was

Thanks to everybody who dropped by this week and left comments. I’m still experiencing the bump from the A to Z Challenge, which is always good, and I hope you like what you see here and keep coming back.

The theme for this week’s Monday’s Music Moves Me was music from the late Fifties and Sixties, and I managed somehow to pick five songs that weren’t exactly rock songs, other than Bobby Van’s “The Night Has A Thousand Eyes.” As I explained to commenters, Top 40 music from that period included much more than rock & roll, and I chose songs that I liked. My brother Kip called it a “hodgepodge,” which means I did what I wanted to do.

Two for Tuesday featured Shelley Fabares and Paul Petersen, the two actors that portrayed Mary and Jeff Stone on The Donna Reed Show, a wildly popular program from 1958 to 1966. The producers evidently had to twist both their arms to get them to record albums, and while neither was a particularly gifted singer, they both produced Top Ten hits, with Shelley’s “Johnny Angel” reaching #1. Lynn, who admitted to having a crush on Paul Petersen, pointed out that he started a charity called “A Minor Consideration,” which IMDb calls “an outreach organization that oversees the emotional, financial and legal protection of kids and former kids in show business.” It’s sad that such organizations are still needed, even after the examples of Jackie Coogan, Shirley Temple, and Macaulay Culkin.

I dug into my Evernote, turned up a first line I wrote once, and featured it on One-Liner Wednesday. If you come up with a story using it, I’m glad to have helped. Maybe I should create a contest where I throw out the first line and publish the stories on my blog… nah, too much work… I’ll think about it; if you have any opinions on the matter, leave them in the comments. Keith said he had heard there are lulls at around twenty past, forty past, and on the hour, and that his observations proved it happens about two-thirds of the time. Kind of like on radio, where there are commercial breaks around those times. Josslyn Rae said if people never talked to themselves, they’d probably go insane. Mom thought people who talked to themselves (specifically her oldest son) were insane. Go figure.

I published my Writer’s Workshop entry late on Thursday, thus leaving the chain unbroken. I gave the seven reasons I thought Col. Robert Hogan, USAAF, played by Bob Crane on the mid-Sixties TV series Hogan’s Heroes, was my favorite character on television. Several readers told me they liked the show, especially John Banner’s Sgt. Schultz. He’s a favorite of mine, too. I once had my old boss on the floor laughing when I did my impression of Schultz saying “I know NOTHING!” My Ghostletters buddy Dave said his mother loved it after she got over her misgivings about the premise; she had said there was no way anyone could make a POW camp funny. It helped that the Germans in the series were played as such buffoons. Sue wanted to know if I found any modern characters appealing. I’ve had to think about that, and while I like quite a few (Leonard and Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory, most of the characters from NCIS, Laura Diamond from The Mysteries of Laura, and the lead characters from Burn Notice), I don’t feel the same level of investment, for lack of a better term, in those characters.

In honor of Memorial Day, The Friday Five featured songs with “remember” in the title. I wrote most of the post before leaving for therapy, and was tired when I go home and my Internet connection was acting funny, so I just added a few words to it and published it. I think it turned out pretty well. Arlee reminded me of a couple of other songs, one of which was “I Remember It Well,” sung by Maurice Chevalier and Hermione Gingold in the 1958 film Gigi. I’m surprised I didn’t remember that one.

Finally, the prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday was “press,” so I talked about my latest round of physical therapy, involving compression and lymphatic drainage massage to reduce the swelling in my leg. It’s worked remarkably well; this morning my leg looked almost normal and it’s much easier to walk. I highly recommend lymphatic drainage for lymphedema. I’m happy that no one felt I had overshared and that I could explain how it worked, and thank you all for your well wishes.

I want to remind everyone that, if you’re looking for an index of all of the featured artists on Two for Tuesday, it’s right here. I’m thinking of doing the same for all the entries from my A to Z Challenges.

That’s all for this week’s The Week That Was. I look forward to seeing all of you next week. For those of you in the United States, have a safe Memorial Day, and please don’t forget the men and women in the armed forces who gave their lives in combat. I want to leave you with “God Bless America” as sung by Timothy Miller, tenor with the Atlanta Opera, professor at Morehouse College, and Atlanta Braves fan, who sings it at the seventh-inning stretch at home games. In full tuxedo, mind you, no matter how hot it is, and believe me, it gets hot here in Atlanta. He can get away with it, because he’s such a cool guy.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment