Sunday, May 8, 2016

The Mother’s Day 2016 Week That Was

This edition of The Week That Was is sponsored by Post Sugar Crisp cereal. Post cereals make breakfast a little bit better!

Remember those “Treat Paks,” or “Snack Paks” or whatever? They always had maybe two boxes of good cereal, and the rest was Shredded Wheat or something awful like that. Like eating a Brillo pad…

The Week That Was

First, some business to attend to: the results of last week’s Battle of the bands.

BATTLE OF THE BANDS! (BOTB Top Photo)

Last Sunday’s Battle of the Bands pitted Jeff Beck’s “Jeff’s Boogie” against Chuck Berry’s “Guitar Boogie.” Both are essentially the same tune, and Beck’s was probably inspired by Berry’s. Here are the results:

Chuck Berry: 7
Jeff Beck/The Yardbirds: 6

Kim at ReInvintaged cast the last vote early this morning, for Jeff Beck. As it turns out, it didn’t matter. It was a close one, though, and my hat’s off to both great guitarists.

Yesterday for Stream of Consciousness Saturday, I mentioned the Smith Brothers, makers of cough drops and owners of one of the more iconic trademarks in history: pictures of the two of them, with one being identified as “Trade” and the other as “Mark.” Hilary wanted to know “is it Mark Smith, and Trade Smith. . .or are the Smiths patent agents. . .” Well, I didn’t know, so I did what I always do in those situations: look up the Smith Brothers on Wikipedia. It tells me that William (“Trade”) and Andrew (“Mark”) were the sons of a Scottish immigrant who ran a soda fountain and candy store in Poughkeepsie, New York. James (the father) bought a cough drop recipe from “a journeyman peddler named Sly Hawkins” and made his first batch in 1852. When James died, the sons took over, and decided that, rather than selling the cough drops out of a glass jar in their shop, they would package them and print their pictures on the box as a sort of “accept no substitutes” message. They were awarded the trademark in 1877. Sadly, production of the cough drops ended last year. Interesting side note: Warner-Lambert bought the formula and moved the production facility to the South Side of Chicago, not far from where we lived.

smithbros
The old Smith Brothers factory on W. 48th Place in Chicago. LoopNet says the place is for lease at $3.95 per square foot per year, which comes out to $355,500 per year. (Source:LoopNet.com)

The Friday Five featured songs with “head” in the title. When I asked for other songs that fit the theme, Lynn suggested “Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes” and Carol on Facebook suggested Paul Anka’s “Put Your Head On My Shoulder.” This Friday, my theme is “mind”; be here to find out what I come up with.

I wrote and published my A to Z Reflections post on Thursday, because I saw that many people were. If you’ve written one, or intend to write one, there will be a Linky on the Challenge blog starting tomorrow. This year was a great time, and I hope you had as much fun as I did. If you didn’t get a chance to visit many blogs during the Challenge, the list will be up through the end of the year. I plan on visiting as many as I can. I also created an index post of all my posts for both of my themes. Each list is in Z to A order.

Tangerine Dream was the subject of Two for Tuesday, and I decided to stop the Progressive Rock series there. It doesn’t mean I don’t plan on featuring more prog-rock acts, but they’ll share the spotlight with whatever else I’m doing. I have no idea what comes next.

For Monday’s Music Moves Me, I went back in time to 1960 to give you the Top Five from WJJD radio in Chicago on May 2 of that year. #4 was Percy Faith’s “Theme from ‘A Summer Place’,” and I mentioned I had never seen the movie or read the book. Janie Junebug has seen it, and said Sandra Dee played a very naughty girl in it. (And, just like that, the word count went to 666.)

And, that’s it for this week’s The Week That Was. I want to wish all the mothers, stepmothers, godmothers, aunts, foster mothers, mothers of fur babies, and anyone else that fits the category a happy Mother’s Day. Our mothers both passed away in 2000, so be sure and call Mom today.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment