Saturday, May 7, 2016

It Ain’t Necessarily So #socs

I’m not a parent, so I can’t write about that with any authority. That doesn’t stop me from thinking thoughts like “If that was my kid, I’d bust my foot off in his ass.”

The word apparent confuses me, so I went to The Oxford Dictionaries online and looked it up. Here’s what they have to say…

1. Clearly visible or understood; obvious
2. Seeming real or true, but not necessarily so

Ohhhhhhhhh-kayyyyy… So it means “obvious, but not necessarily so.”

In other words, “apparent” is apparently a paradox, which is not the same thing as two physicians.

smith-bros
The Smith Brothers, Trade and Mark. Not sure if they were doctors or pharmacists, but I like the picture.

Or maybe it’s intentionally confusing. Take this sentence:

When he said he was going to stay home and clean his guns on Election Day, he was apparently joking.

Take the sentence in the first sense of “apparent.” Obviously, he was joking when he said that. Taken in the second sense, you’re not so sure, are you? So be careful…


socs-badge-2015

Linda Hill hosts Stream of Consciousness Saturday. She has the rules and participants’ pingbacks at her place.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment